Yuba County  




Yuba County was one of the original counties of California, formed in 1850 at the time of statehood.
Parts of the county's territory were given to
Placer County in 1851, to Nevada County in 1851 and to
Sierra County in 1852.

Yuba County is bordered by: Butte, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sierra & Sutter Counties, CA.

Check the above Counties, you may find Family.


“A native son of Gold West,” was born in Marysville, Yuba County, California, October 19, 1855.  His parents, Richard and Eva line (Church) Rust, natives of Vermont, emigrated from that State in an early day and settled in New Orleans, Louisiana, where they resided until 1849.  In the spring of this year, his father, having been appointed one of the Government Commission to establish the boundary line between the United States and Mexico, removed to San Diego, California, where he resided until 1851.  From 1849 to 1851 he held the position of Alcalde for San Diego County, which corresponds to the office of county clerk and recorder, of the present time.  Was elected County Clerk of San Diego County at the first election after admission of California as a State.  In 1851 he went to Marysville, and established the Marysville Express, a newspaper which he published and was connected with till 1857.  During the same time he established the Placer Herald, which he sold in a short time.  The Herald is still published at Auburn, and is one of the leading papers of Placer County.  In 1857 he sold out his interest in Marysville and moved to Sacramento, where he was employed as editor on the State Journal till 1858.  At the time the Vigilance Committee of California was organized in 1856, Mr. Rust was strenuously opposed to this organization and used his influence for its dissolution, and the re-establishment of a government on democratic principles.  I 1859 he moved to Mokelumne Hill, becoming connected with the Calaveras Chronicle, which he conducted until 1861.  He then sold his interests in the Chronicle, and retired from the newspaper business; the paper is still being published at Mokelumne Hill.  Mr. Rust was engaged in several newspaper enterprises before he came to California.

In 1861 he purchased a homestead about ten miles above Mokelumne Hill, and engaged in domestic pursuits, until the time of his death, which occurred August 15, 1872.  Mr. Rust never entirely gave up his literary pursuits, having continually acted as correspondent for a number of leading newspapers of the State, to the time of his death.  His wife is still living and is seventy-four years old.

Richard C. Rust, the subject of this sketch, was married November 30, 1887, to Miss Lizzie G. Hosmer, a daughter of H. B. and M. V. (Tagart) Hosmer.  They have one child, Richard Whitney, born December 3, 1889.  Mr. Rust is a stanch Democrat, and received his early education in the public schools of Calaveras County, after which he attended D. C. Stone’s preparatory school for the State University.  In March, 1876, he commenced the study of law with O’Connor & Pardow in San Francisco, after which he was with Hon. A. C. Adams.  He was admitted to the bar, November 10, 1879, and March 19, 1885, was admitted to the United States District Court, and November 11, 1887, to the United States Circuit Court, and from 1879 to 1883, practiced law in San Francisco.  In 1883 he came to Jackson, Amador County, and formed a partnership with Hon. A. Caminetti, with whom he remained until January 1, 1887.  He then formed a partnership with Hon. John A. Eagon, under the firm name of Eagon & Rust, with whom he is still associated.  They have an extensive law practice, and are one of the leading law firms of the foothills of Northern California.

A Memorial and biographical history of Northern California : Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1891, Page 457



Allen Ensley McClanahan, one of the pioneer settlers and outstanding citizens of the Reedley section of Fresno Nullity, was born in Carroll county, Illinois, November 22, 1849, tile son of Robert and Adeline (Ensley) McClanahan.

When only nine years old Mr. McClanahan was brought to Yuba county, California, where he grew to manhood.

At the age of fourteen he enlisted in the Seventh California Regiment for service in the Civil war and served in Arizona during the course of the con­flict.

After the war he returned to Yuba may and lived there until he. came to Tulare county where he settled about seven miles south of Reedley. He was engaged in farming, and was the owner of valuable property in both Fresno and Tulare counties. He was one of the first directors of the Alta Irrigation district, and was a member of the first school board of the Kennedy school in Tulare county.

He early became interested in real estate and was active in the de­velopment of Tulare when it was in its prime. Later he moved to Reedley, where in partnership with the late ‘I’. L. Reed, was a pioneer in the real estate and insurance business, and later his second site was a partner with him in this business. Its was actively engaged in farming and real estate in the Reedley district for more than forty years.

Mr. McClanahan was one of the most public spirited citizens of Reedley, and did much for the upbuilding of the town. No worthy cause escaped his notice, and he was ever ready to engage in any activity which he considered of benefit to the community. During the World war he put in 1600 hours work for the Reedley branch of the American Red Cross for which Inc received offi­cial recognition.

He was active in Masonry and was a charter member of tine Masonic lodge at Kingsburg. Mr. McClanahan was always active in all temperance move­ments.

His first wife was Sarah E. Bloyd, now deceased. He subsequently married Fannie M. McClanahan, who survives him., and is still living in Reedley. Mr. McClanahan died October 13, 1927, at the family home in Reedley.

Winchell, Lilbourne Alsip, History of Fresno County and the San Joaquin Valley : Fresno, Calif.: A.H. Cawston, 1933, McClanahan, Page 307



...of Ontario, was born in Yuba county, California, February 13, 1867. His father was Jas S. Mills, a native of Richmond, Virginia, who came to California by the overland route in 1852. After several years spent in mining, he returned east and married Miss Almira Guion, daughter of David Bonte Guion, of St. Louis, Missouri. They returned to California and settled in Yuba county, where Mr. Mills engaged in farming.

Jas. W. Mills went from the High School in Marysville, California, and entered the State University as a special Agricultural student. In 1893, he was appointed Superintendent of the Chino Experimental station, which position he still holds.

In 1894, he was married to Miss Fannie Whitmore, born in Washington, Iowa, the daughter of F. B. Whitmore, of Sacramento. They have two sons, Harold L. and Frank S.

As superintendent of the experimental station, Mr. Mills has charge of University Co-operative experimental work in Southern California. He is considered one of the best informed authorities on agricultural and horticultural subjects in this vicinity and has won the confidence of the farmers and fruit growers, with whom he is working.

Ingersoll, Luther A.,  Ingersoll’s century annals of San Bernardino County, 1769 to 1904  Los Angeles :: L.A. Ingersoll,, 1904, Mills, Page 758-759


W. B. AMES, M. D.,

...a practic­ing physician of Fremont, San­dusky county, was born in Hu­ron county, Ohio, in 1821, a son of Jason C. and Sarah Ann (Moore) Ames, the former born in New Haven, Conn., the latter in New York.

The parents of our subject each removed in pioneer days to Huron county, Ohio, where they were married, and where the father followed the trade of shoemaker in connection with farming. They had a family of seven children, of whom five are now living: W. V. B., our subject; Cynthia, wife of D. F. Webber, of Charlotte, Eaton Co., Mich.; Emeline, widow of Smith Bodine, of Charlotte, Eaton Co., Mich., who enlisted from Plymouth, Huron Co., Ohio, as a soldier in the Civil war, and died in Libby prison; George W., who resides at Sacramento City, Cal.; Angeline, widow of James Steele, of Charlotte, Mich., who died in 1893; Catharine, widow of Mr. Lewis Garrey, of Ukiah, Mendocino Co., Cal., and Edward, who resides at Ukiah, California.

Dr. Ames was reared in New Haven township, Huron Co., Ohio, and was educated in the public schools of the Western Reserve. He began reading medicine in his native county, and commenced practice at South Bend, Ind., where he remained from 1845 to 1851. He then went by the overland route to California, locating in Yuba county, where he practiced medicine about four years, having been engaged in mining for some time prior to that. About the year 185$ he returned to Seneca county, Ohio, and thence, in 1858, moved to Fremont, where he has since been engaged in the practice of his profession. He was married, in Huron county, Ohio, to Miss Adaline Harrington, a native of that county, daughter of Benjamin and Betsey (Taylor) Harrington, who were early pioneers of the Western Reserve, having come from the State of New York. The children of Dr. and Adaline Ames were: Elizabeth, wife of Evandor Dunning, of Eaton county, Mich. ; Alice, wife of Charles A. Norton, of Kansas City, Mo.; William V. B., a dentist of Chicago, Ill.; and Rose, who resides at home. Mrs. Adaline Ames died May 3o, 1860, and Dr. Ames subsequently wedded Miss Catharine Strohl, a native of Sandusky county, daughter of Peter Strohl (now deceased), who was one of the early pioneers of Ballville township, Sandusky Co., Ohio. The children by this marriage are: Nell, Jane, and Frank. Frank Ames married Miss Grace Ford, and lives in Sacramento, California.

Dr. Ames is a Republican in politics, but not a partisan. He is one of the old­est and most successful medical prac­titioners of Fremont, having built up a widely extended and lucrative practice. He owns valuable interests in Fremont and vicinity, and a fine farm in California.

Anonymous: Commemorative biographical record of the counties of Sandusky and Ottawa, Ohio :  Chicago: J.H. Beers & Co., 1896, Ames, Pages 26-27



As postmaster at Holmes, where he also conducts a general merchandise store, and in addition engages in stock-raising, Obadiah C. Hooper is one of the best known men in the community, and also one of the most influential and popular. He has been in the mercantile business a large part of his life and is also an experienced farmer and stockman. Ibis appointment as postmaster was received in 1912, and his service in this capacity has given the greatest of satisfaction. His store is the principal one in Holmes, and the service rendered there is of the best. Mr. Hooper has never been married and his aged mother resides with him, sharing the comforts of his home, and adding greatly to its cheer.

Mr. Hooper is a native of California, born in Yuba county, November 21, 1863. His father, William Watson Hooper, was a native of Fanning county, Texas, born there when the Lone Star state was a part of Mexico. He crossed the plains with ox-teams in 1854, locating at Wheatland, Yuba county. He was in Oregon, for a time, where he engaged in farming, and while in Portland he met and married Miss Mary J. Hull, a native of Pittsfield, Illinois. She is the daughter of Rev. C. B. and Nancy (Shin) Hull, born in New York and Illinois, respectively. Her mother was the first white child born on Illinois river. In 1852 they brought their family by ox-teams over Oregon trail and settled in Portland. She was reared in Washington county, Ore. Mrs. Hooper bore her husband five children, three sons and two daughters. The father died in Glenn county, this state, at the age of forty-four years. Obadiah C. Hooper grew to manhood in Yuba and Glenn counties, his father having a homestead and a pre-emption claim in the latter county. He attended the public schools of his district, and remained at home with his father, assisting with the care of the farm until he was twenty-one years of age, and later engaged in. farming for himself. When he was thirty-five he engaged in the mercantile business at Chrome, now Millsap, Glenn county, where he remained for two years. In 1898 he came to Humboldt county, where during the first winter he followed the hotel business as manager of the Dyerville Hotel, and also conducted the livery barn, remaining for a year. Later, after four years of farming at Camp Grant, he returned to Dyerville and managed the hotel there for an additional year. He then moved to Lolita, where he conducted a millinery store for a year, and then went to Pepperwood where for fourteen months he conducted the Lucas Hotel. Following this he ranched for three years, having rented for that time the Pedrotti ranch at Holmes, this being the property that he is now conducting as a stock ranch. In 1912 he leased his present store building and put in a first-class stock of general merchandise, and since that time has been conducting this enterprise, with marked financial success, as well as being postmaster.

In his political preferences Mr. Hooper is a Socialist, and is a well-read, well-informed man, and a careful thinker. He takes a keen interest in all that goes on about him, and is one of the progressive men of the community, standing squarely for improvement along sane and permanent lines, and for any movement that is for the general welfare of the community. He is a member of the Wocdmen of the World at Holmes. The business interests of Mr. Hooper are well looked after by him, and his ranching interests as well as his mercantile interests are prospering. The ranch which he rents from V. Pedrotti, who is his brother-in-law, contains forty-two acres, and is one of the best in the vicinity. There Mr. Hooper is engaged in breeding a high grade of dairy cattle, the Jersey strain being developed. These cows are much sought by the dairymen of the region and find a ready market. Mr. Pedrotti is himself a well-known figure in local affairs and his sketch appears elsewhere in this edition.

Both Mr. Hooper and his mother are well liked in Holmes, and are deservedly popular. Mr. Hooper is a booster for his home city and for the county as well, and his mother is one of the finest type of the pioneer women of a day gone by, gentle, quiet, and full of a thousand kindnesses for all who come her way.

History of Humboldt County California History by Leigh H. Irvine: Historic Record Company, Los Angeles, California, 1915 Pages 993-994


The popular fire chief and fire warden of Scotia is one of the important men in the city, and on his shoulders rests the grave responsibility of preventing the devastation of the town by fire, this being a constant danger in the lumber town, where the means of conflagration are unusually plentiful. Mr. Cartwright was elected as fire chief by the members of the various volunteer fire companies of Scotia, and was appointed fire warden by the Pacific Lumber Company, in whose employ he had been for a number of years, holding positions of trust and responsi­bility, and in every instance proving himself well worthy of their confidence.

Mr. Cartwright is a native of California, born in Yuba county, January 25, 1882. His father, Harry B. Cartwright, was a native of Pennsylvania, and came to California at the time of the gold rush in 1849, making the trip by way of the Horn. For a time he followed placer and quartz mining in Sierra county, and then went into Yuba county and took up a claim of government land and engaged in farming and stock-raising. Mining appealed to him far more strongly than farming, however, and he continued to engage in the more hazardous occupation from time to time, whenever he could be spared from his farm, for many years. He was married to Miss Maria Frances Seth, a native of Pennsylvania, who came to California via Isthmus of Panama, in 1851. They became the parents of six children, as follows : Phoebe, now the wife of Emmett Gleason, a rancher, residing on the old Cartwright place in Yuba county ; Wallace, who died at the age of eight years ; Elizabeth, who died at the age of two years ; George W., a contractor and mill builder, at present engaged with the Buhne Hardware Company of Eureka ; Edna, Mrs. Davis, residing in Seattle, Wash. ; and Arthur Earl, the subject of this sketch. The parents came to Eureka when Arthur Earl was seven years of age, and there he passed his boyhood days, attending the public schools and high school. Later he went to Everett, Wash, where he was engaged with a real estate and insurance firm, and while in their service he also studied typewriting and stenography. After a year spent at Everett he returned to Eureka in 1903, and went to work as a millwright under his brother George. At the same time he joined fire company No. 5, in Eureka, and commenced to take a great interest in the subject of fire protection. While with his brother he assisted in the building of the Holmes-Eureka mill, at Eureka, and of the Little River Redwood Company’s mill at Little River, in Humboldt county. It was in November, 1910, that Mr. Cartwright eventually came to Scotia, and entered the employ of the Pacific Lumber Company as millwright superintendent, being in this position until May 1, 1914, when he assumed his duties as fire chief and fire warden, which he has since discharged with efficiency.

Mr. Cartwright was interested in the work of the fire department from the time that he came to Scotia, and is thoroughly familiar with the plans and requirements of its work. He was a charter member of the fire depart­ment known as the Scotia Volunteer Fire Department, organized in 1910, with Charles Wescott as fire chief. He became foreman of Company No. 1 in 1912. He is now carrying out the plans originally laid out by the com­pany and hopes to prevent another such disastrous fire as that which occurred in 1912 destroying the dry kilns at mill “B”. New fire proof kilns have since been built, and other modern means of fire protection have been adopted by the Pacific Lumber Company recently. The fire department consists of five hose companies of twenty men each, one engine company of eight men and eight fire policemen. Each company has a foreman and an assistant foreman, and each has its own hose cart and hose house. The arrangements for the water supply are very complete and modern, and with the capable supervision of Mr. Cartwright there should be no great difficulty in handling any situation which might arise.

The marriage of Mr. Cartwright occurred in Eureka, February 23d, 1911, uniting him with Miss May Cameron, born in Eureka. Mr. Cart­wright takes an especially keen interest in all that pertains to the general welfare of Scotia, and any movement for its betterment, educationally, socially, or commercially is given his instant and hearty endorsement. He is a man of great ability, ingenuity, popularity and force of character, and is a power in the local affairs of his party, he being a stanch Republican. He is also prominent in fraternal affairs and is a member of several beneficial orders, among which may be mentioned the Odd Fellows, his membership being claimed by the Fortuna Lodge. Mr. Cartwright is also well known in Eureka, where his mother still makes her home, and where he is a frequent visitor. His father died in Yuba county a number of years ago, at the age of seventy years.

History of Humboldt County California History by Leigh H. Irvine: Historic Record Company, Los Angeles, California, 1915 Page 1073



...one of the more recent additions to the citizenship of Watsonville, has proven a valuable acquisition to the community and fills an important place in its industrial life, doing artistic work in marble and granite. He was born January 21, 1871, in McDonough county, Illinois, and from the age of eleven years has lived on the Pacific coast. He spent three years in Oregon and in 1885 arrived in Marysville, Yuba county, California, where he completed his schooling. He remained in Marysville until he reached his majority and in 1892 located in Raymond, Madera county, California, where he served an apprenticeship to the stone-cutter’s trade, working for the Raymond Granite Company. In 1898 he went to San Francisco and continued in the employ of the Raymond Granite Company until 1902, when he embarked in business for himself in that city. He conducted the undertaking until 1911, when he discontinued the business and resumed work at his trade, which he followed in San Francisco for about ten years.

In 1921 Mr. Russell came to Watsonville and purchased his present plant from C. M. Neal. It is thoroughly modern and fully equipped for stone-cutting. The business is conducted under the name of the Watsonville Marble & Granite Works and since Mr. Russell assumed control of the industry it has developed rapidly. He carries a large stock of California and Vermont granite and the finest quality of marble.

He has built four mausoleums in Watsonville and also did the marble work on the new front of the Rappe jewelry store on Main street, the finest mercantile establishment in the city. For lettering he uses the sand blast, the latest invention and a great improvement over the old method. Mr. Russell has an expert knowledge of the business, gained from years of experience and careful study, and is also the possessor of executive force and mature judgment.

On August 3, 1891, Mr. Russell married Miss Margaret Ann Coughran, a native of Mariposa county and a granddaughter of one of the ‘49ers who came to California in search of gold. To this union has been born a son, J. Marvin Russell, who is manager of the San Francisco office of the Veterans Welfare Bureau.

Mr. Russell is a Master Mason and is also identified with the Scioto, the Yeomen, the Elks and the Woodmen of the World. He manifests a deep interest in municipal advancement and to this end has become allied with the Chamber of Commerce and the Merchants Association. While working in San Francisco he made his home in San Bruno, San Mateo county, and aided in incorporating the town, also serving on its board of trustees. Mr. Russell has always dealt honorably with his fellowmen, and his career teaches the world the ever valuable lesson that true success comes only through tireless industry, guided and inspired by singleness of purpose.

Rolin G Watkins History of Monterey and Santa Cruz Counties, California :  Chicago: S.J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1925,  Pages 116 - 117



The grammar school of San Carlos is being capably supervised by Miss Eleanor Louise Ebert, who has served as its principal since August, 1921, during which time she has gained a high place in the confidence and respect of the patrons of the school. Miss Ebert was born in Sacramento, California, on the 23d of March, 1899, and is a daughter of Jacob P. and Catherine E. (Bomberg) Ebert. Her father,  who is now in the United States immigration service, is a native of Yuba county, California, while the mother was born in Marysville, this state. Miss Ebert attended the grammar school in the Plumas district of Yuba county and graduated from the high school at Chico, after which she entered the. normal school at that place, from which she was graduated in 1918. She taught one year in the Elizabeth district school in Yuba county; one year in the Walnut Grove district school in Glenn county; one year in the Jefferson district school in Yolo county, and in August, 1921, was called to her present position, as principal of the San Carlos grammar school. She has charge of the first to the eighth grades, inclusive, with an average attendance of one hundred and two, and her record since coming here has gained for her marked prestige among the educators of this locality. She is a constant student of her profession, keeping in touch with the best educational methods, and exercises sound judgment and shows a spirit of real interest in her work that has gained for her many warm friends throughout the community. Miss Ebert makes her home in San Francisco. She is a lover of outdoor sports, being especially fond of swimming, and is a popular member of the circles in which she moves.

Cloud, Roy W. History of San Mateo County, California  Chicago, Ill.: S.J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1928, Page 500-501



Farmer ; was born in Monroe county, Missouri, March 8, 1847, where he resided till 1850, when his parents crossed the plains to California, first settling in Yuba county, where he resided till 1857,  when he came to Sonoma county and settled in Analy Township, where he resided till 1868, when he moved to his present farm, consisting of one hundred and sixty-five acres, upon which are good improvements. Mr. Barnes married, April 22, 1866, Elizabeth A. Raden, she being born in Van Buren county, Iowa, October 9, 1847. By this union they have five children : Elizabeth Caroline, born February 13, 1868 ; Lydia Ann, born January 17, 1871 ; Mary Jane, born November 28, 1872 ; Cora Belle, born August 12, 1875, and William Aaron, born November 17, 1877.

Thompson, R A : History of Sonoma County : San Francisco: Alley, Bowen & Co., 1879, Page 631



...a pioneer of 1878, is a native of Yuba county. California. born in Marysville October 29, 1863. When quite young he went to San Francisco. where he attended school until coming to Spokane. He came here with his brother-in-law. :Mr. W C. Gray. who opened the first hotel in the city, the California House. where the city hall now stands. He remained in business with him for ten years, then returned to California  and entered the employ of the Southern Pacific Railroad Company. but in the same year he came back to Spokane and engaged in farming near the city. In 1890 he went to Idaho, where for the ensuing four years he followed his former occupation, farming. Subsequently he sold out, returned to Spokane. and after being employed in various capacities for a couple of years accepted a position with John W. Graham & Company as city solicitor, and he has been performing his duties as such con­tinuously since. He is a man of energy, tact and business ability, and his personal good qualities render him a universal favorite. He was married in Spokane August 14, 1886, to Eliza W. Morris. daughter of Thomas Morris, of this city, and they have two children Clara. born April 21st, 1887 and Amy Gladys, born April 14 1894.

Edwards, Jonathan, An illustrated history of Spokane County, state of Washington : San Francisco: W.H. Lever, 1900, Smiley, Pages 427-428



Son of Berry Pitman, one of the first settlers of Missouri, his grandfather, Col. M. L. Pitman, being one of the first in Kentucky, and one of the few who founded Boonsborough in 1775. His father was born in Virginia in 1715, of Scotch parents who emigrated from Edinburgh. Mr. Pitman was born in St. Charles county, Missouri, February 25, 1821, the same year the State was admitted to the Union. He there resided until he reached the age of seventeen. At that time he moved to Jackson county, Missouri, and there served an apprenticeship at blacksmithing up to 1840. Then he joined a Spanish freighting train under Javis (afterwards killed by the Indians), and in company with Major Hensley, for New Mexico, returning in a few months. He was appointed blacksmith among the Shawnee Indians, and worked at that business three and a half years, undergoing all the hardships and privations that are incident to early pioneers. Leaving his Indian friends behind, he returned to Missouri. He was there married to Armenia A. Lewis, daughter of Lindsey Lewis, August 7, 1844, and then turned his attention to farming. But love of adventure drew him into the tide of emigration that settled for California. On April 15, 184!), with six mule teams they started by way of Salt Lake, with Sam Lewis as Captain. July 28th they made Hangtown, now Placerville. After a few days’ rest for men and teams they proceeded to Sacramento and thence to the mines on the south fork of the Feather river, where he remained until washed out by rains in December, ‘49. He then returned to Sacramento, where he remained a few weeks, then to San Francisco where he took passage on the steamship, Oregon, for Missouri, via Panama and New Orleans. His return, however, was but momentary, for on the 15th of April, 1850, he once more had his face turned westward, bringing his wife with him, he acting as captain of the train which consisted of ten wagons. He arrived in Sacramento August 23,1850. Leaving that place he proceeded to Nicholas on the Feather river, where he started a hotel, which, however, he soon gave up for a farm three miles above Marysville, Yuba county, and there combined the two businesses of stock-raising and keeping a public house. In this locality he remained until December, 1852, when he came to Santa Clara county and settled in Fremont township, his first few years being devoted to stock-raising and dairying, which, however, changed as the country settled up into farming, an industry he followed with more or less success for twenty-five years. He is now in the dairy business in San Jose’. Mr. Pitman has been across the continent no less than thirteen times. twice by teams, ten times by rail, and once by water. Who better than he can judge of the advance of the age. He has always avoided political offices, farther than serving in the capacity of School Trustee, preferring instead a domestic life. His married life has been a happy one. He has had ten children of whom three are dead. The oldest, James M., was born in Yuba count}% January 30, 1851. The rest were born in Santa Clara county. Marion L., born October 2, 1854; Cornelius Y., born June 2, 1858; Berry M., born January 21, 1860; Willie A., born May 9, 1862; Belle M., born September 22, 1865, Ernest A., born September 23, 1869. Mr. Pitman is a member of the Territorial Pioneers’ Society.

History of Santa Clara County, California; Illustrated San Francisco: Alley, Bowen & Co, Publishers, 1881 Pages 585-586



The oldest son of the Rev. G. R., and Maria C. Baker, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, on September 15, 1849. In May, 1857, he arrived in California and proceeded to Marysville, Yuba county, where he resided until 1862, when he entered the University of the Pacific near Santa Clara, and remained there at intervals for eight years. In the year 1868 he traveled through a great portion of the Eastern States, and after his return to this State taught school and studied law. In the Summer of 1871 he was appointed Principal of the Santa Clara High School, and in June of the same year was nominated by the Republican party for the office of County Superintendent of Schools, to which he was elected in the following September. He then resigned his position of Principal, and with the duties of his new office continued his legal studies until he was admitted to practice before the Supreme Court in October, 1872. Mr. Baker held the office of County Superintendent of Schools until March, 1874, when he moved to San Francisco and commenced the practice of law in that city. In June, 1873, however, he had brought his first suit in the case of Thomas Rea of Gilroy against the Southern Pacific Railroad Company. This case was closed up in May, 1874, and with the fee thus earned Mr. Baker purchased an interest in a mine, which he afterwards sold to good advantage. He visited the Centennial Exposition in 1876, returned to the Pacific coast, arranged his affairs, and took a trip to Europe, being absent one year. In 1878 he resumed his residence in San Jose. In 1879 he was nominated by the Republican party for the State Senate, and in the following September was duly elected. At the first session thereafter he was unanimously chosen President pro tem., of that Body. At the Convention of the Republican party, held at Sacramento in April, 1880, he was their President, a position in which he acquitted himself with marked ability. Mr. Baker has done excellent work for his constituents while in the Senate; some of his speeches before that august body have, been marked by forcible language, clear diction and effective oratory, while it may be safely assumed that it is mainly through his efforts that the appropriations were made to effect the location of the State Normal School once more in the Garden City of California.

History of Santa Clara County, California; Illustrated San Francisco: Alley, Bowen & Co, Publishers, 1881 Pages 684-685



Born in Butler county, Pennsylvania, July 5, 1834; and there received his early schooling, and afterwards his more mature training at the Alleghany College, Meadville, Crawford county, in the same State. He arrived in San Francisco via Panama, March 2, 1855, and proceeded to Amador county, where he engaged in mining; but moving from there to Sierra county he stayed there some time, during which he constructed a wing dam on the north fork of the Yuba river at Mississippi Bar ; thence he proceeded to Forbestown, Butte county, and opened an evening school which he taught during the Winter of 1857, and in the following Spring came to Santa Clara county, and engaged in teaching in San Jose, and the study of law. Was admitted to the Bar of the Supreme Court in January, 1863, after which he settled in Yuba county, and in 1864 was appointed District Attorney. In June, 1865, he returned to San Jose and was elected District Attorney in 1871 and was a Notary Public from 1867 to 1868. Mr. Black’s office is in rooms 18 and 19, Knox Block, San Jose. He married Marian J. Millard, March 15, 1868, a native of Iowa, and has : Clara N., John Newton, Walter R., Leslie, Edmund, and an infant.

History of Santa Clara County, California; Illustrated San Francisco: Alley, Bowen & Co, Publishers, 1881 Page 692



The subject of this sketch, whose portrait appears in this work, was born in the Kingdom of Hanover, November 28, 1835, where he resided until the age of sixteen, when he sailed for Bremen, July 4, 1852, for the United States, arriving in New York August 20th. There he found employment in a grocery store, where he remained two years. In July, 1854, he sailed from New York in the North Star, by the Nicaragua route, for California, and on the Cortez, on the Pacific side, arriving at San Francisco in the early part of August. Remaining there a few days, he proceeded to the mines on the Yuba river, working at different camps until 1864. From there Mr. Wilkening went to Antioch, Contra Costa county, and there resided six months, when he returned to New York with the intention of remaining, but at the end of twelve months he again started to visit the Pacific Coast, this time coming via Panama, arriving July, 1865. He went, on arrival, to Placer county, and from there to Franklin Hill, Plumas county, where he followed mining for the space of seven years. In July, 1874, he again visited Contra Costa county, and conducted the “Red House,” near the present site of Byron. In 1877 he purchased his present property, on which now stands the town of Byron. In 1878, he erected his present commodious hotel— the Byron Hotel, of which he is at present the affable and obliging host. Besides owning the hotel, he has a saloon and livery-stable at Byron. Married in San Francisco, October 14, 1876, Annie Percy, a native of Somersetshire, England. By this union there is one son, Byron H., born February 3, 1880.

History of Contra Costa County, California: Thompson & West, Oakland, CA (1882) Pages 697-698



A pioneer resident of Santa Ana who has been privileged to see much of the town develop, and a popular social favorite who has been closely identified with fraternal lodge life and the activities of the local fire department, is Earl G. Glenn, the efficient U. S. mail carrier, who was born in Springville, Iowa, on May 21, 1870. His father, Frank Glenn, moved to St. Paul, Minn., in 1878, and lived in that city for six years as the auditor of the St. Paul, Minneapolis and Manitoba Railroad. He had married Katherine Wynans, and in 1884 they removed to Iowa, going back to Springville. Three years later, in the great “boom” year, they came out to California, but it was not until 1888 that Earl Glenn, who wished to complete his schooling, followed them to the Golden State and the “promised land.” His success, with a foundation of education acquired in the St. Paul high school and the junior college at Springville, a high standard of character, and a genial, winning personality, has made him feel that the promises California then held forth she has since quite made good.

In 1888, then, Mr. Glenn came to Santa Ana, and for a year, under Rev. A. T. McDill he worked as a printer on the Santa Ana Herald, putting in the next year on the same paper with Messrs. Shaw and Wallace. When he left them, he was employed on the Morning Blade; and when that was made an evening paper, he became foreman of the job printing department. In 1895 he quit printing altogether, and then he became an employee of J. A. Hankey in the bicycle trade. He was a racing rider, and in 1897 established the record that still stands as the best local effort in Orange County today: he rode twelve and a half miles on a dirt course in thirty minutes and thirty-one seconds.

Mr. Glenn was a charter member of the Santa Ana National Guards in 1890, and reenlisted in 1899, and spent two years in the Philippines, where he saw spirited action in eleven engagements. In 1901 he was honorably discharged. On his return he spent another year with Mr. Hankey in the bicycle business. The next year, however, Uncle Sam laid hold of Mr. Glenn as the most desirable candidate for mail carrier service in Santa Ana, and he has been serving the public in that capacity ever since, to the joy of the public and the satisfaction of his colleagues.

On April 8, 1903, Mr. Glenn was married to Miss Nina Mansur, a daughter of Carlos F. and Columbia L. Mansur, and a native daughter proud of her association with California, where she was born at Camptonville, in Yuba County, in December, 1870.

Mrs. Glenn was sent to the Santa Ana public schools, and was graduated with honors from the high school of this city. She belongs to the Baptist Church. Two children have blessed the union of Mr. and Mrs. Glenn: Margaret is the older, and then there is Frederick, and they are both pupils of the grade schools.

Mr. Glenn has been active as past master in Santa Ana Lodge No. 241, F. & A. M., and past chancellor in the Knights of Pythias; and he is also a member of the Elks and the Redmen of Santa Ana. He has belonged to the Santa Ana Band, and has the longest continuous service in the Santa Ana Volunteer Fire Department, having been identified with that organization for the past twenty-four and a half years, or through the period when it ceased to be a volunteer department and was made a city fire department. With his wife, he belongs to the Eastern Star.

During the recent war, Mr. and Mrs. Glenn supported vigorously the campaign of the Government in the various drives, and they both participated in practically all of the war activities. In 1905 Mr. Glenn purchased their home place at 1803 North Broadway, where he has lived with his family for the past fifteen years, and he also came to own four lots closer in on Broadway. So early did they pitch their tent on North Broadway that they camped there, so to speak, when there were only a few other houses that far out.

History of Orange County, California: Illustrated ~ By Samuel Armor, Historic Record Company,  Los Angeles, CA (1921)History of Orange County, Page 633



Edwin Alexander Forbes was born July 20, 1860, at the mining town of Brandy City, Sierra county. California. His parents were foreign born. His father, Alexander R. Forbes, came from Scotland, and was raised in Canada. He was a blacksmith and a miner until 1867. when he moved to Yuba county, in this State, and engaged in farming and stock-raising until his death in 1897. The mother, whose maiden name was Catherine Kraker, was born in Germany, and came to this country at twelve years of age. She was educated in the schools of the United States. The ancestors on the father’s side were soldiers for many generations among the Highland regiments of the British army—chiefly the Gordon Highlanders, wherein the grandfather served twenty-one years, taking part in many memorable battles, among them Waterloo.

At the age of seven years E. A. Forbes moved with his parents from the old mining camp of Brandy City to the Oregon House Valley, in Yuba county, where his father purchased a ranch, and from then until he was eighteen years of age, he worked on the farm and in the blacksmith shop. He rode the ranges after stock, and attended the public schools during the portions of the year when they were open. As soon as his age would permit under the law, to-wit, eighteen years, he attended the teachers’ examination and obtained a first-grade certificate to teach school, standing second in a class of twenty-four applicants. He then taught for three years in Yuba county. On arriving at majority, with his savings he entered the law department of the State University. By teaching school during vacation, and, when he could not get a school, by working in the harvest fields, and by clerking in a law office in San Francisco, he managed to stay through his term, and was graduated from Hastings Law College in May, 1884. He then went to Marysville. California, and opened a law office in June, 1884. He received the nomination for district attorney of Yuba county ,in July, and was elected in November of the same year. He held the office of district attorney of Yuba county for four terms, until 1892. Entering into partnership with Wallace Dinsmore, his present partner, in 1885, they have practiced law in Marysville ever since, the firm name being Forbes & Dinsmore. They do a large corporation, probate and criminal practice. Mr. Forbes has been engaged in most of the noted criminal cases in Northern California for many years. He has always taken a prominent part in military affairs, belonging to the National Guard since 1880, and now being lieutenant-colonel of the Second Infantry Regiment, N. G. C. He served during the railroad strikes of 1894. and volunteered during the Spanish-American War. and was commissioned as major of the Eighth California Regiment of Infantry, United States Volunteers. He is one of the crack shots of the National Guard, and when captain of the Marysville company in 1895. broke the world’s record at target shooting with fifty men. During the Spanish-American War his regiment was not called out of the country, but owing to his administrative military ability he was given more important military commands than any volunteer officer on the Pacific Coast, having been sent to command the important post of Vancouver Barracks, where he was in command of the First Battalion of his own regiment and the troops of Oregon and Washington, and a detachment of Regulars. He was also in command of the troops at Angel Island and Benicia, California.

Colonel Forbes has also always taken a leading part in politics. He was chairman of the Republican State convention at Sacramento in 1900, and appointed the executive committee of the Republican party which so successfully handled the Presidential campaign of that year. He was defeated for the nomination for congress from the Second district of California, by one vote, at Santa Cruz, in 1900. The Colonel takes great interest as well in public affairs. He formed the Brown’s Valley Irrigation district, and brought the waters of the Yuba River over the dry foothills of Yuba county. He negotiated the sale of the famous Brown’s Valley mines, and was active in interesting capital in the development of the wonderful power resources on the Yuba River, which resulted eventually in the creation of the greatest electrical plant in California, the Bay Counties Power Company’s plant.

Colonel Forbes is president of the board of agricultural directors of his district; president of the Marysville Chamber of Commerce, and vice-president of the Sacramento Valley Development Association, besides being president of several private corporations. He ranks as one of the leaders of the bar of Northern California. His success in legal, civil, political and military life comes from his intimate knowledge of men and the use of practical judgment in all matters, aided by a tenacious determination to carry out whatever he undertakes. He was married in November, 1884, to Miss Jennie Yore, by whom he has two children, a daughter of fifteen, and a boy of eight years.

History of the Bench and Bar of California: Edited by Oscar T Shuck, Los Angeles, Cal. The Commercial Printing House, 1901 - Page 832



J. A. Graves was born in the state of Iowa, December 5, 1852, his parents being natives of Kentucky. He came to California in 1857, when barely five years of age. He lived his early life on a ranch near Marysville, in Yuba county, and later in San Mateo county, and attended the San Francisco High School. He then went to St. Mary’s College, San Francisco, and graduated there as an A. M. in 1873.

He then began the study of law in the office of Eastman & Neumann, in San Francisco. He removed to Los Angeles in 1875, entering the office of Brunson & Eastman as a clerk and student. In January, 1876. he was admitted to practice by the Supreme Court of the State, and immediately became a partner of his late employers, the firm being Brunson, Eastman & Graves. It enjoyed a very large share of the practice of Los Angeles city and vicinity during its existence. The firm was dissolved in 1878. and Mr. Graves was alone until January, 1880, when he formed a partnership with J. S. Chapman, as Graves & Chapman. This firm immediately took high rank at the Los Angeles bar. On January 1. 1885. Judge Chapman was joined by his brother-in-law. Judge Hendrick, of Lassen county, and Graves & Chapman dissolved.

Mr. Graves then took Mr. H. W. O’Melveny into partnership, under the name of Graves & O’Melveny. The latter gentleman is a son of the Hon. H. K S. O’Melveny now deceased. He is a graduate of the State University, and at that time was a deputy district attorney of Los Angeles county under Stephen M. White. In 1888 Mr. J. H. Shankland, for ten years prior thereto the attorney for the San Francisco Board of Trade, became a member of the firm.

Graves, O’Melveny & Shankland have been extremely successful. They enjoy the full confidence of the community and represent a large number of local banks and many of the wealthy and important corporations of Southern California, besides having a large personal clientage.

Besides attending to his law practice, Mr. Graves is a successful orange grower, and is extensively interested in the oil industry. He and Mr. O’Melveny have been associated together for sixteen years—longer than any other two members of the Los Angeles bar. Mr. Graves has had his office in the Baker Block since December 1, 1878.

History of the Bench and Bar of California: Edited by Oscar T Shuck, Los Angeles, Cal. The Commercial Printing House, 1901 - Page 853



Miles Edward Sanborn was born at Polo, Illinois, November 1st, 1852, and was educated in the public schools and at Rock River Seminary, Mount Morris, in that State. He read law at Polo with Hon. James C. Luckey, afterwards attending the Union College of Law at Chicago, graduating therefrom with the degree of baehelor of laws. June 25th. 1874, and on the 10th of September in the same year was admitted by the Supreme Court of Illinois to practice in all the courts of the State. In the spring of 1875 he established an office at Dunlap, Iowa, and soon after was elected city attorney of that place. In the. summer of 1878 he came to California and in January, 1881, located permanently at Yuba City. For two years he acted as assistant to the district attorney of Sutter county, and was then himself elected to that office, which he filled with ability and zeal, giving such general satisfaction that he was twice re-elected. In 1884 he revisited Polo and there married Frances M. Luckey. the daughter of his former law preceptor. The marriage was a happy one and two bright children, daughter and son. bless the union. Upon the completion of his third term  

History of the Bench and Bar of California: Edited by Oscar T Shuck, Los Angeles, Cal. The Commercial Printing House, 1901 - Page 927-928



Residence. 1800 Shattuck Avenue, Berkeley: office. Pacific Building, San Francisco. Born in Wheatland. Yuba County, California, January 17. 1874. Son of Cyrus King and Frances Leoni (Scott) Dam. Married June 29. 1904, to Inez Shippee. Attended the Academy of California College in Oakland from 1890 to 1892. Received the degree of A. B. in 1896 from the University of California.  From 1897 to 1900 attended Hastings Law College, obtaining the degree of LL. B.  Admitted to the bar of this state May 28, 1900. prior to which he studied law in the offices of “W. S. Goodfellow and Garrett W.  McEnerney. Republican.

History of the Bench and Bar of California: Edited by J C Bates, Bench and Bar Publishing Company, Publishers, San Francisco, 1912 - Page 282



Office, Pacific Mutual Building, Los Angeles. Born .Tune 30, 1839, in Genesee, New York. Son of Thomas and Sarah (Randell) Davis. Moved to California in 1839. Married .January 1, 1865, to Emogene W. Waggoner. Educated in the public schools of New York and New York State Normal College. Graduated from Hamilton (N. Y ) College in 1867 with degree of LL.B., and in 1883 received degree of A. M. from Tuft’s College, Boston, Massachusetts. Admitted to the bar of New York in 1867; California, 1869, and later to the United States Circuit and District Courts of California. Commenced the practice of law in Colusa, California, as member of the firm Eastman & Merrill. This firm continued for eight months, when he moved to Marysville, where he remained until 1903, when he retired and moved to Los Angeles, where he resides to date. District Attorney of Yuba County from 1870 to 1874, and 1878 to 1880. Elected joint senator from Yuba and Sutter counties in 1879. In 1891 appointed Superior Judge of Yuba and Sutter counties, which office he held until 1903. Delegate-at-Large to Republican National Convention at Chicago in 1880. Chairman of Republican State Convention at Oakland in 1882. Member of 27th New York Infantry during the Civil War. Member of Corinth Post No. 80, G. A. R.. Masonic order, IOOF and K. of P. fraternities. Republican.

History of the Bench and Bar of California: Edited by J C Bates, Bench and Bar Publishing Company, Publishers, San Francisco, 1912 - Page 284



Residence, Marysville; office. Hall of Records, Marysville. Born in Galena Hill, California, July 5, 1856. Son of Justus and Margaret (Rideout) Greely. Married October 5, 1879, to Lettie Bost. Received his early education at the Marysville High School, from which institution he graduated, and later attended the Wesleyan University, Connecticut. For two years in the class of 1880. Secretary of Buckeye Mills for ten years. Director of Sperry Flour Company seven years. Studied law in the office of W. H. Carlin of Marysville, and was admitted to the bar of California on March 13, 1900. Commenced the practice of his profession in association with W. H. Carlin, which continued until about September, 1901, since which period he has been engaged in the active practice of his profession alone. Elected District Attorney for Yuba County in 1907, and continued in that office until 1911. Elected to the Senate in 1889, and elected Mayor of Marysville in 1886. Served seven years on the State Chico Normal Board, having been appointed by Governor Markhain. Was appointed Registrar of United States Land Office in 1903 and held that appointment until 1906. Was appointed Recorder of Yuba County in December, 1910, and took office the following January, continues to hold that appointment to date. Member of the Native Sons of the Golden West fraternity, and was Grand President of that order in 188.5. Republican.

History of the Bench and Bar of California: Edited by J C Bates, Bench and Bar Publishing Company, Publishers, San Francisco, 1912 - Page 333



Residence, 1493 Masonic Avenue; office, Mutual Savings Building, San Francisco. Born in Yuba County, California, June 16, 1858. Son of Michael A. and Elizabeth B. (Murray) Herrin. Married May 10, 1907, to Sophia E. Reynolds. Received his education at the common schools of California. Later attended the University of California and Hastings College of Law. Admitted to practice by Superior Court in 1883, and by the Supreme Court of this state on November 27, 1885. Commenced the active practice of his profession at Oroville in 1883, and continued there until March, 1892, when he removed to San Francisco. Entered into partnership with George D. Shadburne, practicing under the firm name of Shadburne & Herrin, which association continued until September 1, 1896, since which time he has been in active practice alone. Member of the Union League and Commonwealth clubs. Masonic fraternity, Knight Templar and Shriner. Republican.

History of the Bench and Bar of California: Edited by J C Bates, Bench and Bar Publishing Company, Publishers, San Francisco, 1912 - Page 351



Residence, 412 7th Street; office, Courthouse, Marysville. Born August 19 1868 in Placer County, California. Son of George W and Margaret [Alford] Manwell. Married August 22, 1889, to Ellen Gertrude Scott. Received his education in the public schools of this state, and was admitted to the bar of California in September, 1908, in San Francisco, by the Supreme Court of California. Commenced the active practice of his profession in Wheatland and removed in 1906 to Marysville, where he continues to date, practicing alone. Was elected to the California legislature and served in the session of 1905. In 1906 was appointed City Superintendent of Schools of Marysville, and held that office until 1911, being also County Superintendent of Schools from 1906 to 1911.

Elected District Attorney for Yuba County in 1910, taking office in January of the following year, and continues to hold that office to date. One of the founders of the Lincoln- Roosevelt Republican League in the State of California. Member of the Masonic. I. O.O. F., N. S. G. W., Loyal Order of the Moose, Elks, Rebeccas, and Eastern Star fraternities. Republican.

History of the Bench and Bar of California: Edited by J C Bates, Bench and Bar Publishing Company, Publishers, San Francisco, 1912 - Page 421



Residence, 113 East Acacia Street; office, District Attorney’s office, Stockton. Born in Marysville, Yuba

County, California, July 11, 1876. Son of E. and Maggie (Schmidtler) Van Vranken. First attended the Brothers” Schools in Oakland, and later was a pupil of the public grammar schools of this state, graduating from Washington Grammar School, near Clements, in June, 1894. From 1891 to 1895 was a student at the San Joaquin Business College. Studied law in the office of Hon. Frank H. Smith, of Stockton. Admitted to practice in this state, January 15, 1903, by the District Court of Appeal. Commenced active practice of his profession, January, 3907, in partnership with O. B. Parkinson, which continued for one year. Practiced alone until April, 1909, when he entered partnership with John E. Budd, which continued until January, 1911, when he was appointed Deputy District Attorney of San Joaquin County, which position he holds to date. On March 22, 1909, was appointed Prosecuting Attorney of the city of Stockton, completing the term of M. J. Henry, who resigned. Secretary of the Republican County Central Committee to date, having been appointed in 1908 and again in 1910. Republican

History of the Bench and Bar of California: Edited by J C Bates, Bench and Bar Publishing Company, Publishers, San Francisco, 1912 - Page 541



Residence, 123G Arapahoe Street; office, 1006 Wright & Callender Building, Los Angeles. Born in Camptonville, Yuba County, California, June 2, 1861. Son of Joshua Hutchins and Mary Alexander (Casey) Variel. Married June 2, 1904, to Anita Page Kelley. Attended public schools at Camptonville and Quincy, California. Taught school about three years at Nelson Point and at Diamond Springs school districts. Entered University of California, August, 1883, College of Chemistry, and received degree of Bachelor of Science in 1888. Taught school until April, 1901, studying law in his spare time, and admitted in that month to the Superior Court of Plumas County, California, Supreme Court of California, May 4, 1891, and to the Supreme Court of the United States, November 3, 1902. Commenced the practice of law in Los Angeles in 1891, alone, to 1893, when he formed partnership with W. H. Davis, under the firm name of Variel & Davis, which continued until 1894. From 1894 to 1903 was associated with E. H. F. Variel, when he formed partnership with H. M. Barstow under the firm name of Barstow & Variel until 1905. In 1906 he formed partnership with J. V. Hannon, under the firm name of Variel & Hannon, to 1907, since which time he has practiced his profession alone. Member of the N. S. G. W. and Masonic order. Republican.

History of the Bench and Bar of California: Edited by J C Bates, Bench and Bar Publishing Company, Publishers, San Francisco, 1912 - Page 541



An excellent farm of three hundred and twenty acres pays tribute for the care and labor bestowed upon it by L. D. Ward. Waving fields of grain and alfalfa, broad pastures upon which are found high grades of stock, all indicate his progressive methods and show that the work of improvement is being steadily carried forward. Mr. Ward was born in Henderson county, Illinois, March 22, 1860, a son of C. W. and Ellen Elizabeth (Crenshaw) Ward, the former a native of Illinois and the latter of Iowa. The parents resided in the middle west until 1864, when they crossed the plains with teams, spending eighteen months in Nevada. They next removed to Yuba county, California, where the father died in 1873, at the comparatively early age of thirty-six years. The mother still lives. In the fall of 1885 she came to Oregon, residing at Klamath Falls until four years ago, since which time she has made her home in San Diego, California. In her family are four children of whom L. D. Ward is the eldest, the others being: Eva, the wife of Charles Graves, of Klamath Falls, who is mentioned elsewhere in this work; Frank, who is a member of the grocery firm of Ward & Oberchain, of Klamath Falls; and Susie, the wife of H. E. Smith, of San Diego.

L. D. Ward spent the first four years of his life in his native county and was then brought by his parents to the west. He resided in Yuba county, California, from 1866 until 1884, when he came to Klamath county, Oregon, where he has since made his home. For a time he was proprietor of a hardware store in Klamath Falls and in the fall of 1885 went to Linkville, where he became a member of the firm of Graves, Ketchem & Ward, dealers in hardware. In 1888 he sold his interest in that business and afterward speculated in timber and farm lands for three or four years. Subsequently with J. W. Semens he conducted a barber shop and club room for two years in Klamath Falls, and at the end of that time began farming. He owns three hundred and twenty acres in addition to which he rents and improves two hundred and sixty acres of land. He is thus extensively engaged in general farming, and makes a specialty of the production of grain and alfalfa. He has one hundred and forty-five acres of his land under government ditch and has greatly improved his property with modern equipment and buildings. He raises stock to some extent. He has altogether improved four ranches and has thus contributed largely to the work of progress and upbuilding in this part of the state.

In October, 1901, Mr. Ward was united in marriage to Mrs. Mary E. Brantlacht, who was born in Shasta county, California, May 12, 1876, and is a daughter of A. M. and Martha (Walker) Zwely, both of whom were natives of Missouri. The father crossed the plains in 1860 and the mother in 1868. She died on the 3d of March, 1912. at the age of fifty-seven years, and the father is living at Alturas, California. Mrs. Ward was first married to Henry Brantlacht, who died, leaving two children, Jessie and Aletha. To Mr. and Mrs. Ward has been born a son, Levi Z., and a daughter, Mary Ellen. Fraternally Mr. Ward is connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Ancient Order of United Workmen. He takes comparatively little active part in outside interests, preferring to concentrate his energies upon business affairs which are proving a profitable source of income, owing to his careful direction and able management. His home is pleasantly situated about twelve miles south of Klamath Falls, in the Klamath valley, and he is recognized as one of the representative agriculturists of this community.

The Centennial History of Oregon, 1811 - 1912 Vol 4 - Chicago, The S J Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Page 413



...filling the position of justice of the peace at Klamath Falls, was born at Marysville, California. February 1, 1857. His father, Garrett Graves, was a native of New York, while the mother, who bore the maiden name of Mary Driesbach, was born in Pennsylvania. They were married in the east and became residents of California about 1849 or 1850. Their son Charles was but six years of age when his parents passed away. The father died on one Sunday in 1863 and the mother on the succeeding Sunday. He was following farming at the time of his death. In their family were four children: Frank, who has passed away; Charles; Samuel, living in Merrill, Oregon; and Mrs. Ella Sulzberger, of Arizona.

After the death of his parents. Judge Graves resided with an uncle in Michigan until he was old enough to earn his own living, after which he returned to California. When nineteen years of age he purchased a tract of land in Yuba county and cultivated it until 1884. He then sold that property and came to Klamath Falls. Oregon, and was engaged in merchandising here for five years. He then followed farming and stock-raising for about fourteen years, at the end of which time he disposed of his interests in that connection and took up his abode in Klamath Falls. In November, 1910, he was elected to his present position as justice of the peace and is now acting in that capacity. He had previously served one term as county treasurer of Klamath county and had declined a second term in that office. He also served as a member of the first city council of Klamath Falls and all through his life he has given his political allegiance to the democratic party. For twenty-eight years he has resided in this district and has always enjoyed the high respect and warm regard of his fellow townsmen who support him for office, notwithstanding the fact that this is a republican county and he is a stanch advocate of democratic principles.

In 1882 Judge Graves was united in marriage to Miss Eva M. Ward, who was born in Nevada but was reared in California. Unto them have been born eight children: Maude, who is the wife of Joseph L. Ringo, of Crescent, Oregon; Clarissa, who is the wife of S. B. Garner, of Portland; Charles J., who is living in Crescent; Ward L., attending school in Portland; Maurice, Horatio R., Ralph and Elizabeth, all at home.

Judge Graves is a worthy exemplar of the Masonic fraternity. He has taken the degrees of the Royal Arch and Knight Templar Masonry and is also a member of the Mystic Shrine. He is also a charter member of the lodge of the Ancient Order of United Workmen at Klamath Falls, which is one of the strongest in the state, and is a charter member of the Elks lodge. He likewise belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and helped finance the project at the time of the building of their lodge room and also of the building of the Elks’ Home. He is now serving as president of the Commercial Club, in which connection he is putting forth earnest and persistent effort to advance the welfare of his town and county. He is a reliable and progressive business man and citizen and his many commendable traits of character have established him in an enviable position among his fellow townsmen.

The Centennial History of Oregon, 1811 - 1912 Vol 4 - Chicago, The S J Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, pages 53-54



...a successful and enterprising farmer and stockman of Washington county, is the owner of a tract of one hundred and sixty acres, four and one-half miles north of Banks. His birth occurred in Allamakee county, Iowa, on the 21st of June, 1853, his parents being P. S. and Julia A. (Reed) Beard. The father, a native of New York, removed to Iowa about 1850 and two years later was married in that state, where he followed the carpenter’s trade. In 1859 he made the overland journey to California by ox team, reaching his destination at the end of five months and fifteen days. He started out with three yoke of oxen and at the end of the journey had but one steer remaining, having traded the others for the use of other cattle, with which to finish the trip. In the winter of 1859 he mined at Pine Grove, California, and thence removed to Marysville, Yuba county, where he worked as a carpenter and mason until 1870. In that year he made his way to Mendocino county, California, and subsequently took up his abode in Humboldt county, following his trade in both places. In 1872 he came to Washington county, Oregon, entered a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres and resided thereon for about four years. Disposing of that property, he purchased another tract of one hundred and sixty acres in the vicinity and devoted his attention to its further cultivation and improvement throughout the remainder of his life. His demise occurred in May, 1893, while his wife passed away at the home of our subject in 1899. Their children were seven in number, five of whom are still living, namely: Jesse James, Luther M., William, Platt and Walter. Those deceased are Mrs. John Watkins and Mrs. Johann Mead.

Jesse J. Beard, who was a lad of five years when he crossed’ the plains with his parents, obtained his education in the public schools of California. He first worked at teaming in Mendocino county, purchasing a team and being engaged in that business for a period of seventeen and a half years or until the advent of the railroad. Subsequently he came to Washington county, Oregon, took up a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres four and a half miles north of Banks, made all necessary improvements and cleared twenty-five acres thereof. He has resided thereon to the present time and in connection with the production of cereals devotes some attention to stock, owning twenty head of cattle and five head of horses.

Mr. Beard has been married twice. He first wedded Miss Barthenia Budd, a daughter of Judge E. R. Budd, of Mendocino county, California. To them were born four children, as follows: Jesse, who passed away when a youth of seventeen; Emma, the wife of I. Brush; Stella, who gave her hand in marriage to Frank Scott; and Jennie, who is the wife of William Browning. For his second wife, Mr. Beard chose Miss Susan Shoemake, a native of Mendocino county, California, and a daughter of Luther and Elizabeth Shoemake, by whom he had five children, namely: Ruth, who died when five years of age; Mabel, the wife of George Howell, of Washington county; Clarence, living in California; and Pearl and Nellie, both at home.

At the polls Mr. Beard supports the men and measures of the democratic party but has never sought nor desired office as a reward for party fealty. His faith is that of the Christian church, to which his wife and children also belong. The salient qualities of his life have ever commended him to the confidence, good-will and friendship of those with whom he comes into contact and he has always enjoyed the warm regard of a host of friends.

The Centennial History of Oregon, 1811 - 1912 Vol 4 - Chicago, The S J Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Page 958


Charles J. Heggerty, of San Francisco, stands to-day as one of the  foremost representatives of the bar of California. From humble surroundings he has made his way to large success through the open door of personal opportunity which is the pride of our American life.

Choosing as the field of his labors a profession wherein advancement depends entirely upon individual merit and ability, he as worked his way upward until, entrusted with most important litigated interests, he has won for himself the admiration and respect of the general public as well as of the members of the profession who judge his work from a more strictly technical standpoint.  

Mr. Heggerty is one of California's native sons, his birth having occurred in Smartsville, Yuba County, December 27, 1860. His father, Morris Heggerty, was a native of Ireland and in 1849 crossed the Atlantic to New York, whence in 1853 he came to California, settling in Yuba County. He was a blacksmith, having learned the trade in Paisley, Scotland. His death occurred in 1873, when he was forty-five years of age. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Mary O'Donnell, was born in County Donegal. Ireland, and immigrated to America with three sisters, arriving in New York  

in 1851. Three years later she started for California and took up her abode in Smartsville. Yuba County, where she gave her hand in marriage to Morris Heggerty. She survived her husband for about a year and died at the age of forty-five. There were but two children in the family. One died in infancy.  

Charles J. Heggerty., the surviving member of the family, was but fourteen years when left an orphan. He acquired his early education in the public schools of Yuba County and in St. Mary's College of San Francisco, and completed a course in both the commercial and collegiate departments, the former in 1878, the latter in 1880. In the latter year he won the degree of Bachelor of Arts. Following his graduation Mr. Heggerty took up the study of law with Geo, A. Knight in 1881, and later read with the firm of Clunie & Knight. He was admitted to the bar before the supreme court of the state in 1889, and the following year entered into partnership relations with Geo. A. Knight under the firm name of Knight & Heggerty, a relation that has since been maintained. In 1903 he was admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court. He has engaged in a general law practice, and the legal interests entrusted to his care have been of a very important character. The first important case with which he was connected was that involving the right of the hydraulic mining claims of Yuba County to work their mines by the hydraulic process and deposit the mining debris in the Yuba river. Mr. Heggerty represented the Golden Gate Consolidated Hydraulic Mining Company, whose mine was situated at Smartsville. about a mile and a half from the Yuba river. His next important case concerned the estate of Judge Solomon Heydenfeldt, who was one of the justices of the supreme court of the state of California and a very celebrated mining lawyer. He left an estate valued at seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars, and his will, being contested by some of his children, the estate became involved in a mass of litigation which was in the courts from 1890 until 1902, when it was finally decided in favor of Mr. Heggerty's clients.  

At the time of the death of Senator James G. Fair, in December, 1894, Mr. Heggery was representing the son, Charles L. Fair; for seven and a half years the litigation over that estate was pending in the various courts of California and was finally concluded in May, 1902. Upon its settlement Charles L. Fair and his wife, Caroline D. Fair, left California for a trip to Europe and both were killed in an automobile accident near Paris, France. Upon their death the estate again became involved in extensive litigation, which is now pending in the courts of California and New York. In this  litigation Mr. Heggerty represents Herman Oelrichs as administrator of the estate of Charles L. Fair and Joseph Harvey and Charles S. Neal, as administrators for the estate of Caroline D. Fair. The Fair case involved the most extensive probate and general litigation that has ever come before the courts of California, the estate of Senator Fair being valued at thirty millions of dollars.

In September, 1890, Mr. Heggerty was united in marriage to Miss Annie M. Cashin, a daughter of John and Grace Cashin, who were pioneer residents of Nevada City, Nevada County. California, coming to this state about 1850. Her father was interested in mining in early days and subsequently in banking and stock-raising in Nevada County. The only child of Mr. and Mrs. Heggerty died in infancy. Their home is at No. 2319 Scott street, which was completed in the spring of 1903. His political allegiance is given the Democracy, and he is a popular representative of several local organizations of a social nature, including the Native Sons of the Golden West, the Young Men's Institute, the Hibernians, the Press Club and the Olympic Club. Of strong mentality, developing his talents through use and adding to his native ability that which comes as the result of thorough preparation. he has made for himself an enviable name in legal circles and his name is to-day by no means limited by the boundaries of city or County, but extends beyond the limits of the state. 

Page 338-339

A History of the New California and It’s Resources and People:
Edited by Leigh H Irvine and Associated Editors on
Pioneer Days, Agriculture, Mining, Irrigation, Manufacturing, Railroads & Education
The Lewis Publishing Company, New York & Chicago, 1905

All Biographies transcribed by: Martha A Crosley Graham


 I do not live in Yuba County therefore am unable to assist with local research.

  Yuba County Coordinator 

Copyright © 1996-Present
All rights reserved.