| WILLIAM
BYRON BARNES, living in
Klamath Falls , has
been active in political and fraternal circles as
well as in business affairs. At one time he was
quite extensively engaged in stock-raising and is
still the owner of valuable timber claims in the
state. At the present writing he is serving for
the second term as sheriff of the county, his
reelection being proof of the confidence reposed
in him and of the excellent record which he made
as an official during his first term. He was born
in Bridgeport
, Mono county,
California , May
14, 18 65 , his parents
being James A. and Mary J. (Patterson) Barnes,
both of whom were natives of
Ohio . They were
reared and married in
Birmingham , Iowa
, and in 1862 came to
California ,
crossing the plains with horse teams. The father
died in Modoc county,
California , in
1898, when about fifty-six years of age, his birth
having occurred in 1842. The mother resides with
her son Hiram at Kelseyville, Lake
county, California
. The father had farming interests in
Modoc county at the time of his death. In early
days he was a freighter and engaged in teaming for
many years. In his family were five children:
Hiram, of Kelseyville; Frank, of
Summer Lake , Oregon
; William Byron; Marion, living in
Lakeview , Oregon
; and Emma, who died in May, 1891.
William
B. Barnes was reared in
Bridgeport to the
age of nineteen years, when the family removed
to Modoc county. Later he went to
Summer Lake
and there engaged in the
stockraising business until he came to
Klamath Falls
in 1904. Here he conducted the American Hotel
until about 1908, when he was elected sheriff of
the county, in which position he is now serving
for the second term. He has always voted with
the republican party and has filled a number of
local offices, also taking an active part in the
organization work of the party. For two years he
served as assessor of Lake
county, Oregon
, and for two years was deputy
sheriff of Modoc county,
California . He
has frequently been a delegate to party
conventions and has served repeatedly on
election boards. While he has disposed of his
large ranch in Lake
county he still owns timber claims but devotes
the greater part of his time and attention to
his official duties.
In
1888 Mr. Barnes was married to Miss Tilly
McDowell, a native of
Missouri , who was
reared in Oregon
and
California and is
a daughter of Mrs. Flavia McDowell, who has been
postmistress at
Summer Lake
for many years. The four children
of this marriage are: Marion, who is acting as
deputy sheriff; Golda, the wife of Vernon
Houston, of Klamath
Falls ; Hazel, who
is in the sheriff's office; and Zeddie.
Mr.
Barnes is a self-made man. He had little
opportunity for acquiring an education and
whatever he has won or enjoyed in life has been
the result of his own efforts. In the early days
he engaged in teaming from
Lakeview , Oregon
, to
Redding , California
, for four or live years and also
in logging in Shasta county,
California , with
a twelve horse team for one season before he
went into the cattle business. The necessity of
providing for his own support and earning his
living wherever he could find the opportunity
prevented him from having a home until after his
marriage. This brought him into contact with
many rough characters and the knowledge which he
gained in that class of service proved valuable
to him in the discharge of his duties as
sheriff. He has made an excellent record in
office especially in the capture of cattle and
horse thieves whom he has followed as far cast
as the Missouri river, bringing to punishment
various men of this class who had been stealing
in the northwest for twenty years. His work in
this connection has been valuable to the
community and his record as sheriff is one well
worthy of praise.
The
Centennial History of
Oregon ,
Volume IV: S J Clarke Publishing
Company, Chicago, 1912, Pages 641-642
|
|
THOMAS
H. JOHNSTONE. There are few names more
prominently associated with the commercial
development of Modoc County than that of Mr.
Johnstone, who is at the head of various important
enterprises in the county and especially has been
interested in movements for the commercial growth of
Cedarville, his home town. The general store of
which he is manager and principal owner and which
forms one of the largest concerns of its kind in
Surprise Valley was incorporated in April 1905,
under the laws of California, with a capital stock
of $40,000, business being conducted under the name
of the T.H. Johnstone Company. In March of 1905, Mr.
Johnstone became the president of the newly
organized Surprise Valley State Bank, capitalized at
$25,000, and this responsible position he now fills,
in addition to conducting his important mercantile
enterprise and acting as a notary public and agent
for a number of fire insurance companies. Another
important undertaking which owes its origin to
himself and other men equally public-spirited is the
Surprise Valley Electric Light and Power Company,
which was organized for the purpose of furnishing
light and power to the people of the valley, and was
incorporated in May 1905, with a capital stock of
$25,000. Not only by the investment of money in
shares of stock has Mr. Johnstone aided the
development of this company, but he has been
especially helpful through his services as treasurer
and vice-president, which positions he has filled
since the organization of the company.
Of Canadian
birth, Mr. Johnstone was born in Ontario, February
7, 1850, and grew to manhood upon the home farm.
After the death of his father he conducted the farm
for one year in the interests of his mother and then
went to the regions east of Hudson Bay, where he was
employed in the lumber business. During the Fenian
raid in Canada in 1870 he enlisted as a private in
the Ottawa Artillery, and later was promoted to be
sergeant, serving as such until the troubles were
ended. In recognition of his bravery and gallant
services Queen Victoria some years later presented
him with a medal, which he now cherishes as one of
is most valued possessions.
On coming to
the States in 1876, Mr. Johnstone became interested
in mining near Virginia City, Nev., but soon removed
to California and for one year was employed in
herding sheep in Modoc County. Next he rented a farm
in what is known as the Cottonwood district of
Surprise Valley. On coming to Cedarville he secured
a position as bookkeeper with M.D. Haynes & Co.,
and two years later, on the dissolution of this
firm, he was chosen business manager for Cressler
& Bonner in the same town. Remaining with that
firm for three years when a consolidation was
effected for their interests with Kistler Brothers,
he was admitted as a member of the firm of Kistler,
Johnstone & Co. Three years later, when that
partnership was dissolved, he bought out a small
store owned by L. Waldenberg & Co. With this as
a nucleus he has built up a large trade that extends
in every direction from Cedarville, throughout the
surrounding country, and he also , since May 1904,
has operated similar store at Eagleville. His
attractive home in Cedarville is presided over the
lady whom he married June 26, 1878 and who was Miss
Anna M. Mills, a native of Canada; they are the
parents of two daughters, Cassie M. and Jennie D.
The family are identified with the Episcopal
denomination, and are contributors to the religious
and philanthropic movements. Active in local
politics as a leader of the Republic party in
Cedarville and vicinity, Mr. Johnstone, though
declining official honors for himself, has given his
staunch support to friends during their candidacy
for official positions and has been a contributor to
the upbuilding of the party in the county.
Fraternally he is a member and past master of
Surprise Valley Lodge No. 235. F.& A.M., having
been made a Mason in Canada in 1875.
Guinn, J. M. History of the State of California
and Biographical Records of the Sierras.
Chicago: Chapman Publishing Company, 1906 at pages
665-666 |
|
|
|
|
AHAZ
WASHINGTON BRYAN is a very busy and
industrious man. owning five hundred and sixty
acres on Clover flat in Lake county, for he not
only carries on general agricultural pursuits but
also conducts a blacksmith shop. He was born in
Mercer county, Missouri, December 16, 1858, his
parents being Daniel Boone and Mary Jane [Farley]
Bryan. The father was born in Tennessee, April 10,
1828. and the mother in Ohio, March 1, 1839. They
became residents of Missouri at the age of
twenty-two and ten years respectively and were
married in Mercer county, that state, there
residing until the spring of 1864, when they
followed the many bands that had already crossed
the plains to the northwest. With ox teams they
started on the journey and after six months'
travel reached Yamhill county, Oregon, where Mr.
Bryan secured a homestead claim, upon which he
lived during the greater part of the time until
1880, when he came to Lake county. He died at the
home of his son, A. W. Bryan, July 6, 1911, while
the mother resides on a ranch two miles south of
her son's ranch on Clover flat. He followed
farming in early life but in 1S61 became a member
of the State Militia of Missouri, with which he
served for one year, when he was disabled and
discharged. After coming to the northwest he
resumed agricultural pursuits and also carried on
stock-raising to some extent. His religious faith
was that of the Christian church. In the family
were five children: Ahaz W., Amanda Ellen, the
wife of C. F. Strohm. of Yamhill county; David
Morgan, who is with his mother; Lucy Jane, the
wife of H. E. Reed, of Roseburg, Oregon; and Mary
Helen, the wife of George Sherman of Lake
county.
Ahaz Washington Bryan was a lad of six
years when he crossed the plains with his parents
and he remembers many incidents of the journey over
the long stretches of sand and across the mountains.
He came with his parents on their removal from
Yamhill to Lake county and secured a homestead two
miles south of his present place in 1887. This he
improved and he resided thereon until 1902. It
comprised one hundred and sixty acres, which he
still owns. He next bought his present place, a
ranch of five hundred and sixty acres, upon which he
has made many modern improvements, having here a
good residence and substantial outbuildings. He also
built a blacksmith shop and does work of that
character not only for himself but also for his
neighbors. His ranch is situated twenty-three miles
from Lake View and nineteen miles from Paisley on
the main road and was the station until two years
ago, during which period he had accommodated many
travelers with entertainment, for there was no
regular hotel or stopping place for a distance of
seventeen and a half miles on the south with no
place to the north. Mr. Bryan had the sub-contract
for carrying the mail from Lake View to Paisley from
1898 until 1902 and then secured the contract direct
from the government for a period of eight years,
thus carrying the mail for twelve years over a route
of forty-five miles in length. In 1910 he purchased
a small sawmill which he put up and operated until
it was destroyed by fire in the fall of 1911.
On the 24th of June, 1892, Mr. Bryan
was married to Miss Jennie M. Moss, who was born in
Modoc county. California, June 7, 1872, and has
resided in Lake county since six months old. She is
a daughter of the Hon. S. P. and Susie (Casteel)
Moss, of Lake View. The children of Mr. and Mrs.
Bryan are Bessie Eleanor, Tressie Hazel, Annie
Laurie and Vaneta Fay. Mr. Bryan is a member of two
different fraternal organizations, the Woodmen of
the World and the Ancient Order of United Workmen,
and he gives his political allegiance to the
republican party, which he has always supported
since age conferred upon him the right of franchise.
He has never been afraid of labor???earnest,
persistent labor???and in this is found the secret
of his progress and his success.
The Centennial History of Oregon,
Volume IV: S J Clarke Publishing Company,
Chicago, 1912, Pages 1033-1034
|
|
J.
W. LAIRD makes a specialty of dairying on
a farm of twenty-two acres near Coquille. keeping
ten head of cows for this purpose. He was born in
Modoc county, California. August 25, 1873, and is a
son of John C. and Jane (Norris) Laird, of whom more
extended mention is made on another page of this
work in connection with the sketch of Pinkston W.
Laird, a brother of our subject.
The removal of the family to Oregon
during the boyhood days of J. W. Laird enabled him
to pursue his education in the public schools of
Coos county. In his youth he also ne familiar with
agricultural methods,
remaining at home with his parents to
the time of his marriage. He afterward served as
engineer for the Johnson Lumber Company of Coos
county for a period of ten years, and industry and
careful expenditure during that decade brought him
the capital that enabled him to purchase one hundred
and eighty two acres of land. Of this he has since
sold one hundred and sixty acres, leaving him but
twenty-two acres. This, however, constitutes a well
improved although small farm near Coquille, which he
devotes to dairying purposes, keeping ten head of
cows. His well appointed dairy and the excellence of
its products secures him a liberal patronage.
On the 29th of May, 1896, Mr. Laird
was united in marriage to Miss Mabel Baxter, who was
born at Santa Cruz, California, May 15, 1872, a
daughter of F. M. and Linwood [Watson] Baxter,
natives of Iowa and Missouri, respectively. They
were married in Oregon, to which state the father
came when fifteen years of age, while the mother was
brought to the northwest by her parents when three
years of age. Mr. and Mrs. Baxter were married in
the Willamette valley and afterward removed to
California, where they resided for several years.
Five children were born to them in that state. In
1879 they came with their family to Oregon settling
in Coos county, where the father took up the logging
business, which he followed for twenty years. He
then retired and has since lived at Coquille. Of the
six children of the Baxter family four are still
living: Charles E., who is a resident of Coquille;
Mrs. Mabel Laird; George E., living at Coquille; and
Harry, who makes his home in Bandon. Those deceased
are Pearl and Cleveland.
Mr. Laird votes with the democratic
party, believing that the principles of its platform
contain the best elements of good government. He is
a Mason and a Knight of Pythias and both he and his
wife are connected with the Eastern Star and the
Pythian Sisters. Mr. Laird has filled all of the
chairs in the orders
mentioned and is loyal to their
teachings and purposes, so that his is a well spent
life, commanding for him the confidence and
good-will of all with whom he comes in contact.
The Centennial History of Oregon,
Volume IV: S J Clarke Publishing Company,
Chicago, 1912, Page 194
|
|
|
|
|
CHARLES LEMUEL CLAFLIN.
Residence and office, Bakersfield. Born in
Lebanon, Van Buren County, Iowa, August 17, 1858.
Son of Ira and Hannah Wells (Richardson) Claflin.
Moved to California September 1, 1880. Married
Nellie Welsh May 7, 1884. Attended the public
schools at Lebanon, Iowa, and later attended the
Troy Academy for two years, at Troy, Iowa. Read
law in the office of Ruthledge Lea at Keosauqua,
Iowa. Admitted to the bar of California August 1,
1881, and commenced the active practice of his
profession in Modoc County. District Attorney of
Modoc County, California, 1883-84. Elected judge
of the Superior Court of Modoc County in 1890 and
continued in that office until 1897. Moved to
Bakersfield in 1900, and continues in the active
practice of his profession in partnership with
Erwin W. Owen, under firm name of Claflin &
Owen, to date. Republican.
History of
the Bench & Bar of California: Joseph
Clement Bates, Bench And Bar Publishing Company,
San Francisco, 1912 - Page 263
|
|
PINKSTON
W. LAIRD lives on a farm situated two
and a half miles above Coquille on the Coquille
river. He owns there one hundred and four acres of
land and in addition to its cultivation is making
a specialty of dairying and stock-raising. He was
born in Modoc county, California, in 1877, a son
of John C. and Janie Laird. The mother was a
native of Ireland and the father of the state of
New York but they were married in Modoc county,
where they resided until 1879, when they removed
to Coos county, Oregon,, settling on the Coquille
river, about two miles from the town of Coquille.
The father there secured a claim of three hundred
and' twenty acres and also bought other land until
he owned six hundred and forty acres, largely
covered with timber. In 1889 he sold that property
and purchased the farm now owned by his son
Pinkston W., comprising one hundred and four
acres. There he made his home until February,
1904, when death called him. His widow still
survives and is living in Coquille, at the age of
sixty-nine years. In their family were six
children: Eunice, who is the wife of George T
Schroeder of Florence, Oregon; Mrs. Annie Von
Pegert, of Coquille; James W., living near
Coquille; Pinkston W.; Warren C., of Coquille; and
George P., whose home is at Bandon, Oregon.
Pinkston W. Laird was educated in the
schools of Coos county, supplementing the work of
the grammar grades by two years study in the high
school. He remained at home to the time of his
marriage and then took charge of his father's place.
Two years later he bought this farm of one hundred
and four acres, of which seventy-five acres is under
cultivation. There are many excellent improvements
upon the place and he makes a specialty of dairying
and stockraising, handling thoroughbred stock, both
cattle and hogs. He also owns one hundred and sixty
acres of timber land on Catching creek, in" Coos
county, and also five business lots in Richmond,
California.
In 1903 Mr. Laird was married to Miss
Flora M. McCloskey, a native of Kansas and a
daughter of Samuel J. and Mary A. McCloskey, who
lived in that state for a number of years and in
1880 came to Oregon, settling at Gravel Ford, Coos
county, where they remained until 1894. They then
sold their farm and purchased other land at Norway,
Oregon, still owning their sixty-three acres. The
father conducted a general mercantile store and a
creamery to the time of his death in June, 1907. The
mother still lives at Norway. In their family were
nine children, seven of whom survive, namely: Mrs.
Agnes Smith, who makes her home at Gravel Ford; W.
T., living at Myrtle Point; Lucinda, who is the
widow of Evan Morgan and resides at Bandon; Mrs.
Minnie E. Lester, of Angiola, California; Clara, at
home; Mrs. Laird; and James H., at home, who
operates the creamery. Unto the marriage of Mr. and
Mrs. Laird three children have been born: Margaret
J., who was born in 1905; Vernita M., who was born
in September, 1909; and Elda B., October 20, 1911.
The mother, Mrs. Laird, acquired her education in
the-public schools of Coos county and also attended
the State Normal at Ashland, Oregon. She taught
school for eighteen years previous to her marriage,
beginning at the age of sixteen years. The family
residence is two and a half miles above Coquille on
the Coquille river. Mr. Laird usually votes with the
democratic party, yet is liberal in his views. In
matters of citizenship, however, he stands for
progress and advancement and his cooperation may be
counted upon to further many progressive movements.
The Centennial History of Oregon,
Volume IV: S J Clarke Publishing Company,
Chicago, 1912 Page 193
|
|
|
|
|
H.
VANCE CLYMER, M. D. The medical
profession of Solano county has an able exponent
in Dr. H. Vance Clymer, of Fairfield, who has long
held the confidence and esteem of the people, as
well as of his professional brethren. He was born
on a farm in Marion county, Oregon, on the 5th of
August, 1865, and is a son of Henry Vance and Mary
(Johnson) Clymer. The father, who was a farmer by
vocation, came to California in 1846, crossing the
plains with the historic Donner party. The mother
was also in this party, but when the train was
divided the company with which she traveled went
to Oregon. The father, with a Mr. Crell Burchard,
went out for food for the Donner party, but they
were unable to return. Mr. Clymer was in San
Francisco for one year and then went to Oregon,
where he spent the remainder of his life.
H. Vance Clymer attended the district
schools near his childhood home in Oregon and was
then a student in Willamette University, at Salem,
that state, later matriculating in the medical
department of that university, at Portland, being
graduated in 1890 with the degree of Doctor of
Medicine. He first located for active practice at
Hating, Oregon, where he remained for several years,
after which he went to Phoenix, Arizona, where for
twenty-five years he was numbered among the
successful physicians and influential citizens of
that community. In 1893 he took postgraduate work in
Chicago and in 1903 in New York. He has been a
constant student, keeping in close touch with the
latest advances in the healing art. In 1919 the
Doctor came to Fairfield, and he is now numbered
among the honored professional men of this locality.
Politically Dr. Clymer has always been aligned with
the republican party, and he has been a close
observer of public affairs. Fraternally he is a
member of the Free and Accepted Masons, in both
higher branches of which he has taken many degrees,
being a Knight Templar in the York Rite and a
thirty-second degree Mason in the Scottish Rite, as
well as a noble of the Mystic Shrine, and he
likewise belongs to the Benevolent Protective Order
of Elks at Phoenix, Arizona. In a professional way
he is a member of the Solano County Medical Society
and the American Medical Association. Possessing a
comprehensive medical education, with years of
practical experience, Dr. Clymer has had a thorough
equipment for the successful practice of his
profession, and his ability and skill have been
recognized wherever he has practiced. The Doctor was
married to Miss Grace Osham, a native of Modoc
county, California, whose father, E. W. Osham, made
the trip across the plains to California in 1849.
History of Solano County,
California: Hunt, Marguerite, Chicago: S.J.
Clarke Pub. Co., 1926, Page 260-261
|
|
P. H. McMURTRY.
Preston Hays McMurtry was last fall (1932)
re-elected supervisor from the Fresno city
district for the third time, being chosen to this
position first in 1924. A native of California, he
first came to Fresno county 30 years ago. As a
public official he has given particular attention
to the welfare of the wards of the county and the
children's department of the county hospital.
Mr. McMurtry was born in Modoc
county, California, May 2, 1880; his father was
James, his mother, Anna (Berry) McMurtry. The
parents were natives of Missouri who moved to the
Pacific coast soon after the Civil war, and settled
in Fresno county in 1882. The elder McMurtry became
a farmer in the region of Tollhouse in the Sierra
Nevada foothills :35 miles from the minty seat. The
boy had a district school education. At the age of
10, he started to work for the Fresno Lumber and
Irrigation company which con??structed Shaver Lake
and built its lumber flume reaching its terminal at
the Southern Pacific at Clovis. In 1908, Mr.
McMurtry joined in forming the wholesale and retail
grocery firm of McMurtry & McCabe, on I street,
con??tinuing there until 1922.
For eight years Mr. McMurtry has
represented the third district on the hoard of
supervisors. His consists of the main part of the
City of Fresno, with some territory outside to the
south and east.
In each of the three elections, he
won his seat the August primary. He served as
chairman of the committee for building the
children's and the surgi??cal wards of the General
hospital.
Mr. McMurtry is married to Gertrude
Hedrick, daughter of William Hed??rick, who was
postmaster of Fresno during the second Cleveland
administration. He is a member of Las Palmas Lodge,
F. and A. M. of which he was master in 1922, and is
also enrolled in the York and Scottish, Rite bodies.
History of Fresno County and the
San Joaquin Valley : Winchell, Lilbourne
Alsip - Fresno, Calif.: A.H. Cawston, 1933, Page 235
|
|
|
|
|
TERRY V DAVENPORT.
Terry V. Davenport has been engaged in the
plumbing business at Riverside since 1906. has
built up a substantial and representative
enterprise in this field and is known and valued
as one of the wide-awake and progressive young
business men and loyal and appreciative citizens
of Riverside County. Further interest attaches to
his status in the community by reason of the fact
that he is a native son of California, his birth
having occurred in Surprise Valley, in Modoc
County, on the 22nd of July, 1882. His father, T.
W. Davenport, who is now living virtually retired
at Arlington, Riverside County, was born in
Missouri, devoted the major part of his active
career to farm industry and served during the
Civil war as a gallant soldier of the Union. He is
a republican in political allegiance, was active
in public affairs in earlier years and served for
a time as judge of the Superior Court of Dade
County, Missouri. He first came to California in
1881, and established his home on a farm in Modoc
County, where his son Terry V. of this review was
born. Finally T. W. Davenport returned to
Missouri, but in 1906 he came again to California,
where he continued his association with
agricultural enterprise until his retirement,
since which time he has resided in his pleasant
home at Arlington. He is affiliated with the Grand
Army of the Republic and with the Masonic
fraternity. His father was a native of Scotland.
As a young man T. W. Davenport wedded Miss Mary
Davis, who likewise was born and reared in
Missouri, the Davis family lineage tracing back to
staunch English origin and representatives of the
name having come to America in the colonial
period, as attested by the fact that members of
the family were found as patriot soldiers of the
Continental Line in the War of the Revolution. The
gracious marital ties of many years were severed
when the loved wife and mother was summoned to the
life eternal, her death having occurred in
December, 1919.
The early education of Terry V.
Davenport was obtained principally in the public
schools of Missouri, and his initial experience of
practical order was in connection with farm
operations, with which he continued his association
in Missouri until 1905, when he there learned the
plumber's trade. In 1906 he came with his parents to
California, the state of his nativity, and for the
first year thereafter he followed the work of his
trade in an individual way at Riverside. He then
formed a partnership with his brother, J. H.
Davenport, and they continued the plumbing business
under the title of Davenport Brothers until 1913,
when Terry V. sold his interest and resumed
independent operations. He has built up a
substantial and prosperous business, fully fifty per
cent, of which is of contract order, and a large
part of the new plumbing work in the Riverside
district in recent years has been installed by him.
In partnership with his brother-in-law, C. E.
Sunstedt, he is the owner also of a well improved
alfalfa and cotton ranch of 120 acres in the Palo
Verde Valley, and the place is under the direct
management of Mr. Sunstedt. He has varied mining
interests in both California and Nevada.
Though he has had no desire to enter
the arena of practical politics, Mr. Davenport is
aligned loyally in the ranks of the republican
party. He is affiliated with the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows and the Woodmen of the World, and
both he and his wife hold membership in the United
Brethren Church of Riverside, in which he is serving
as a member of the Board of Stewards.
December 21, 1905, recorded the
marriage of Mr. Davenport with Miss Eva Harp, who
was born in the State of New York and whose mother,
Mrs. Helen Harp, resided in that state until her
death in September, 1921. Mr. and Mrs. Davenport
became the parents of one son and four daughters,
the son having died in infancy. Lois Evelyn, eldest
of the daughters, is a member of the class of 1923
in the Riverside High School; Alta May and Norma
Aileen are likewise attending the public schools;
and Rachel Ann, who maintains gracious sovereignty
in the family home circle, is not yet of school age
at the time of this writing, in 1921. V
San Bernardino and Riverside
Counties: John Brown, Jr, Editor for San
Bernardino County & James Boyd, Editor for
Riverside County Volume II ~ The Western Historical
Association, 1922, Page 933
|
|
J.
A. MORRIS is acting as postmaster of
Adel where he also carries on merchandising, and
in the business circles of Lake county he is
widely and favorably known. He was born in Dade
county, Missouri, February 1869, a son of William
and Sarah (Cook) Morris, the former a native of
Missouri and the latter of Kentucky. They were
reared and married in Missouri and in 1877 started
on the long journey across the hot sandy plains in
a wagon to Jackson county, Oregon, settling near
Rock Point, where they now reside. The father
engaged in placer mining until about 1900, since
which time he has lived retired. While in Missouri
he followed farming save for the period of the
Civil war, when he enlisted and served as a
soldier. In his family were eleven children, ten
of whom are now living and all are married with
the exception of the youngest.
J. A. Morris, coming to Oregon when a
youth of eight years, remained with his parents
until 1890, and worked in the mines with his father,
thus early forming habits of industry and
perseverance. On the 9th of June, 1890, he arrived
in Warner valley and for about twelve years worked
as a buccaro. He afterward ran stock, handling
horses and cattle on his own account for three
years. He next turned his attention to merchandising
and purchased two little stores in the valley,
conducting one at what is now the town of Plush, in
the first building upon the present townsite. In
fact Mr. Morris platted the townsite and erected the
first building there. He continued at that point
until 1910, when he came to Adel at the south end of
Warner valley. He bought property here and
established business and in 1910 was appointed to
the office of postmaster. He is an enterprising
merchant, wide awake, progressive and active in all
of his business affairs, and at the same time loyal
to all of his public duties. He is not only the
postmaster but also notary public, and at one time
was justice of the peace but resigned. As a merchant
he has done extensive business with the stockmen,
fitting out sheep camps and stock ranches, and the
careful management of his business affairs has
brought him a substantial measure of
prosperity.
On the 25th of December, 1898, Mr.
Morris was married to Miss Daisy Overton, who was
born in Fort Bidwell, Modoc county, California, a
daughter of Major and Dora (Rambo) Overton. Mr. and
Mrs. Morris have four children, Hallie, William
Truman, Raymond and Rotha. Mr. Morris has always
been an advocate of democratic principles and ever
exercises his right of franchise in support of the
men and measures of that party. His fraternal
relations are with the Independent Order of Odd
Fellows of Lakeview. He is numbered among those who
are active in promoting public development of
southern Oregon and his efforts are put forth along
progressive lines which are proving not only a
source of individual success but also an element In
public progress and prosperity.
The Centennial History of Oregon,
Volume IV: S J Clarke Publishing Company,
Chicago, 1912, Pages 1083-1084
|
|
|
|
|
CARROLL
EUGENE DUNN. A splendid example of what
an industrious and progressive person may
accomplish when thrown upon his own resources in
Klamath County is furnished by the life of Carroll
Eugene Dunn, who was born near Cherokee, Iowa,
October 14, 1892
His father was Lee Dunn, born in
Illinois in 1871, a laborer and farmer who settled
in Portland, Oregon, in 1900, and resided throughout
the Pacific Northwest until he died in Portland,
Oregon, in 1926. His mother, a former school
teacher, was born Elda E. Tanner in Indiana, June
10, 1874. She is now living in Seattle, Washington.
The education of Carroll Eugene Dunn was received in
the public schools of Was., Iowa, Portland and
Dairy, Oregon, to which latter community he came
with John Shook in 1905 when they took over the old
Applegate Ranch, now known as the Shook Ranch. Two
years later, at the age of 15 years, he started out
for himself, working as a farm hand and cowboy and
continued in this capacity until 1916, when he took
up a homestead in Modoc County, California. Upon his
return to Klamath County in 1921, Mr. Dunn entered
the employ of the Merrill Creamery and stayed with
that firm until 1924, when he went back to Modoc
County. In 1927 he returned to the creamery,
retaining his position there until 1929 when he took
up his residence again on the Shook Ranch, which he
acquired through Mr. Shook. By close applica??tion
to the business of raising dairy and beef cattle and
grain farming, Mr. Dunn had acquired 700 acres of
the property in a short time. He still retains his
interest in these premises, although in 1935 he
purchased his present home ranch in the Pine Grove
district. Contract farming, land leveling, haying,
and plowing, is conducted by Mr. Dunn for his
neighbors.
The first marriage of Carroll Eugene
Dunn, on September 18, 1916, at Alturas, California,
united him with Pearl Criss, who was born in Modoc
County, California, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs.
Walter Criss, pioneers of that county. The children
born of this union are : Margaret (Mrs. Edward
Wheeler), of Dorris, California, born in Modoc
County July 1, 1917, has a son, Eddie; Mabel, born
in Modoc County, July 23, 1918; Ray, born in Dairy,
Oregon, January 19, 1921 ; Lester, born near
Mer??rill, May 15, 1923; Lavonne, born in Modoc
County, August 1, 1926; and Carolyn, born in Klamath
Falls, February 2, 1928. The second marriage of Mr.
Dunn, with Mrs. Ada (Cooper) Gooding, was solemnized
in Medford, Oregon, on June 10. 1935. She has been a
resident of Klamath Falls since 1920. Mrs. Dunn
operates one of the most successful poultry ranches
in Klamath County at her home in the Pine Grove
district. Her success is ascribed to her scientific
methods of care and production. She maintains
three-deck houses for her 2,000 laying hens. In 1939
she reared 1,800 sexed pullets for laying hens with
great success. An affiliate of the Republican Party,
Mr. Dunn has taken no active part in politics,
preferring to devote himself to the development of
the resources of this region. He is an expert
mechanic, which it a decided asset in his ranching
operations, and now he is numbered among the
repre??sentative farmers and stock raisers in
Klamath County.
History of Klamath County,
Oregon : Good, Rachel Applegate. Klamath
Falls, Or.: unknown, 1941, Pages 346-347
|
|
L.
A. MOSS is the owner of two hundred
acres of land adjoining Paisley on the east and
devoted to the raising of hay and grain. He is
also the secretary and manager of the Moss
Telephone & Telegraph Company of Lake county
and thus deserves classification with the
representative residents of the district. He was
born in Linn county, Oregon, May 22, 1862, and was
the eldest of the three children of S. P. and
Sarah (Robinett) Moss. The mother died in Linn
county in 1868 and the father afterward removed to
Modoc county, California, settling near Beaver,
where he remained three years. He then came to
Lake county in July, 1872, taking up his abode at
the head of the Summer lake valley, where he is
now living.
L. A. Moss remained with his father
until 1888 and assisted him in the various duties of
the ranch, but when twenty-six years of age started
out for himself. In the fall of 1889 he went to
Warner valley, where he engaged in ranching for six
years, having a preemption claim and a quarter
section of school land. At length he sold out there
and came to his present place, comprising two
hundred acres of fertile land adjoining Paisley on
the east. All of this is under a high state of
cultivation, being devoted to the raising of hay and
grain. He also ran stock extensively until the past
few years, having two thousand head of sheep and two
hundred head of cattle at one time, while in
connection with his father and brother he had three
hundred and fifty horses. He spent most of his time
on the range in his earlier days and has gone
through all of the experiences of that life which is
now fast becoming a thing of the past as the open
territory is being taken up and the state divided
into ranches. He has contributed to the general
development and progress not alone along
agricultural lines but also as the secretary and
manager of the Moss Telephone & Telegraph
Company of Lake county which has a line extending
from Silver Lake to Lake View, a distance of more
than a hundred miles.
On the 29th of September, 1889, Mr.
Moss was married to Miss Anna McCormack, who was
born in New Brunswick, December 27, 1873, and is a
daughter of William McCormack. Their three children
are Stephen W., Alfred G. and Mildred Ruth. Mr. Moss
has voted with the democracy since age conferred
upon him the right of franchise and has served in a
number of local offices, including that of justice
of the peace and constable. For eight years he has
been school director and is a warm friend of good
schools and good roads. For one term he was road
supervisor and his aid and influence, whether in
office or out of it, are at all times given to works
of public progress and improvement. For the past
twelve years he has been a member of the Woodmen of
the World and he is a member of the Christian
church, the teachings of which form the guiding
influences of his life.
The Centennial History of Oregon,
Volume IV: S J Clarke Publishing Company, Chicago,
1912, Page 1075
|
|
|
|
|
H. M. FLEMING is a
member of the firm of Fleming Brothers, merchants
of New Pine Creek, who recognize the fact that
satisfied patron, are the best advertisements
and. therefore, carry a large and well
selected line of goods, suitable to a general
trade, and win a liberal patronage by progressive
methods, fair prices and honorable dealing. H.
M. Fleming was born in Jackson county,
Oregon . January 13, 18 76 . a son of Henry
Clay and Minnie (Marchbanks) Fleming, who were
natives of Tennessee , the former born in 1-4???J
and the latter in 1841. The parents were reared
and married in that state and made their advent on
the Pacific coast in 1872 as residents of Siskiyou
county, California . Soon afterward,
however, they removed to Jackson county. Oregon ,
where they remained for fifteen years, and then
went to Modoc county. California , taking up their
abode near New Tine Creek , Oregon , where the
father now resides. For many years he followed
farming and had extensive interests but is now
living retired, enjoying a well earned rest. The
mother passed away here in 1910. In their
family were eight children: Dora, the widow of D.
T. Colvin. of Willowranch. Modoc county.
California : W. S.. also living at Willowranch; T.
M.. a partner of II. M. Fleming: II. A.,
living at Willowranch: H. M.: L. V.. who is
a twin brother of 11. M. and resides near
Fresno , California ; Winifred, of Santa Rosa .
California : and William, of Lake county. Oregon .
In the county of his nativity H. M.
Fleming remained until he reached the age of
thirteen years and thru came with his parents to
Lake county, where he has since lived with the
exception of seven years spent in Modoc county,
California. He was on a ranch until he attained his
majority and his educational opportunities were
those afforded by the public schools. While in Modoc
county he worked in a store for seven years but
laudable ambition prompted him to engage in business
on his own account and with his brother T. H.
Fleming he purchased his present store in 1904. They
have since conducted the same under the style of
Fleming Brothers, general merchants. They own a
brick building, one story and basement, thirty by
seventy feet, and also own ware houses in the town.
They have a huge and growing trade and their
business is a profitable one. They also loan money
and ate interested in many projects in this
locality, including gold mining, which is fast
developing into an important feature in the business
of this section of the state.
Mr. Fleming holds membership with the
Elks and with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows
and he has attractive, genial qualities, which
render him popular in these organizations. Moreover,
his record proves that success and an honorable name
may be won simultaneously, for energy and industry
have ever been supplemented by fair dealing in the
conduct of his mercantile interests.
The Centennial History of Oregon,
Volume IV: S J Clarke Publishing Company,
Chicago, 1912, Pages 340-341
|
|
C.
B. PARKER is superintendent of the "MC"
ranch, the property of the Warner Valley Stock
Company, Inc. For six years he has acted as
superintendent of this ranch of thirty-two
thousand, nine hundred acres, the largest in Lake
county, and the responsibilities which devolve
upon him in this connection are of a most
extensive and arduous character. He was born in
Siskiyou county, California , January 13, 18 63 ,
and is a son of Louis R. and Mary (Fogerty)
Parker, natives of Ohio and New York respectively.
They were married in the east and crossed the
plains in 1849, with Siskiyou county, California ,
as their destination. The father died in 1867 but
the mother now makes her home in Modoc county,
California .
C. B. Parker, the youngest son and
second youngest child, was reared in Siskiyou and
Modoc counties, California, with the usual
experiences of the boy who spends his youth upon the
ranch. He served for two terms or four years as
sheriff of Modoc county, to which position he was
called as the republican candidate. Otherwise he has
largely devoted his attention to stock-raising and
at one time was the owner of a ranch of four hundred
and forty acres in Modoc county. He sold this,
however, before coming to Lake county six years ago.
He now owns three hundred and twenty acres in the
Coleman valley. He was formerly quite extensively
engaged in the sheep industry in the vicinity of
Paisley for four years and still has about two
thousand head. His attention, however, is now
chiefly given to the interests of the Warner Valley
Stock Company of which he is one of the stockholders
and its secretary and superintendent. The place is
known as the "MC" ranch, by which name it is usually
spoken of throughout the district because of the
brand "MC" being used upon the cattle. While the
company makes a specialty of the raising of cattle,
having five thousand head, they also raise and herd
sheep and horses. Mr. Parker employs fifteen
buckaroos throughout the year and employs forty men
in the haying seasons, which last for about two
months. They put up three thousand tons of hay or
more and also purchase a considerable amount. They
cut altogether about ten thousand tons. This
indicates something of the great volume of business
and the interests which command the attention of Mr.
Parker, who at all times displays a spirit of
enterprise in his control of business affairs. He
recognizes the vast possibilities of the northwest
in stock-raising and ranching and sound judgment
guides him in all of his undertakings.
In 1889 Mr. Parker was married to Miss
Katie L. Fitzpatrick, a native of Shasta county,
California, and a daughter of Alexander and Mary
Fitzpatrick. Three children have been born to them,
Arthur, Leland and Vera. A lifelong experience in
his present line of occupation has well qualified
Mr. Parker for the vast responsibilities devolving
upon him and as a prominent stockman of southern
Oregon he well deserves representation in this work
among those who are proving potent forces in the
development and upbuilding of this state.
The Centennial History of Oregon,
Volume IV: S J Clarke Publishing Company,
Chicago, 1912, Page 1073
|
|
|
|
|
CAPTAIN ELIPHALET FOLLETT.
While New Pine Creek is one of the recently
established towns of Lake county its citizenship
includes Captain Eliphalet Follett, one of the
venerable residents of this part of the state. He
was born in what was Lake county but is now Geauga
county, Ohio, February 2, 1828, a son of Ashley
and Diantha (Montgomery) Follett, the former born
in Massachusetts in 1798 and the latter in New
York in 1808. They were pioneer residents of
northeastern Ohio, living in the reserve, where
they were married. The father was a millwright by
trade and followed his chosen occupation when
eastern Ohio was almost an unbroken wilderness.
About 1835 the family removed to southwestern
Michigan, settling at Port Sheldon, where Mr.
Follett built a mill, establishing the town not
far from Michigan City. He afterward removed to
Chicago, Illinois, and later to Prairie du Chien,
Wisconsin. He subsequently resided in Iowa and in
1838 went to Chippewa, Wisconsin, then he removed
once more to the Menominee river and then back to
Clayton county. Iowa. Again, however, he took up
his abode in Wisconsin in 1844. remaining for four
years, after which he returned to Iowa. There he
secured a tract of wild land and became actively
engaged in farming. The mother became a widow in
1847.
Captain Eliphalet Follett was the
second of seven children and as the oldest son was
away from home, the care of the family devolved upon
him and he continued to work on the old homestead
until he attained his majority, when he married. He
afterward entered the field of general merchandising
at Elkader, Clayton county, Iowa, but eventually
removed to Elgin, Fayette county, that state, where
he conducted a store from 1853 until 1862. Following
the outbreak of the Civil war his patriotic spirit
was aroused and, feeling that his first duty was to
his country, he enlisted on the 23d of July, 1862,
as captain of Company H, Thirty-eighth Iowa
Infantry. He served with that command until January
1, 1865, when he was honorably discharged by reason
of the consolidation of his regiment with the
Thirty-fourth of Iowa. He was on duty with the
Thirteenth Army Corps but was detached and served on
the Mississippi until the surrender of Vicksburg. He
was then sent to the convalescent camp at
Carrollton, Louisiana, but later participated in the
capture of Brownsville, Texas, where the troops
remained for nine months as an army of observation.
At the close of that period they returned to New
Orleans and were ordered to Mobile bay, seventeen
days being spent in the capture of Fort Morgan. From
that point the troops proceeded to Morganza,
Louisiana, and to Florida and participated in the
battle of Fort Blakely. They also assisted in the
capture of the steamer Alabama and later went to
Houston, Texas. The most important battle of the war
in which Captain Follett participated was that at
Vicksburg.
When the war was over he returned to
Iowa, and engaged in railroading for more than two
years, but he also owned a farm of two hundred and
seventy acres there and gave some of his time to its
supervision. In 1876 he went to Yolo county,
California, and in 1879 removed to Willowranch,
Modoc county, that state, seven miles south of New
Pine Creek, Oregon. In 1881 he suffered a stroke of
paralysis and since that time has engaged in
merchandising, being identified with business
interests in New Pine Creek since 1893. He has a
well appointed store and he remains a factor in
business circles although many men of his years have
long since put aside commercial or industrial cares
to spend the evening of life quietly and without any
business activities to claim their attention.
Captain Follett has been married
twice. On the 7th of February, 1847, in Iowa, he
wedded Christenia Downie, a native of Canada, who
was born June 7, 1833, and died in New Pine Creek in
November, 1904. Their children were seven in number:
John A., living in Lyon county, Iowa; Blanch, who is
the widow of Columbus Cannon and resides in New Pine
Creek; Josephine, who is the widow of L. C. Button
and makes her home in Sacramento, California; A. E.,
of New Pine Creek; Ernest B., of Benton county,
Oregon: E. W. G., of New Pine Creek; and Sadie L.,
the wife of Joseph L. Hampton of Paisley, Oregon. On
the 17th of June, 1910, Captain Follett was married
to Mrs. Jane L. (Worthington) Mulkey, who had been a
widow for fourteen years. She was born in Davidson
county, North Carolina, .April 29, 1835, and when
five years of age came to Missouri with her parents,
Brooks and Hannah (Green) Worthington, who were
natives of North Carolina but died in Missouri,
where her father followed farming. In early
womanhood Jane Worthington became the wife of
Johnson Mulkey and they removed to California, where
the tatter's death occurred April 21. 1895, when he
had reached the age of sixty-five years, two months
and eight days. They were the parents of four sons
and four daughters, of whom six are living.
For many years Captain Follett has
been a stalwart republican but his first vote was
east in 1849 in support of democratic candidates. He
voted in 1856 for Fremont and for each presidential
candidate of the republican party since that time.
He has served as justice of the peace and in other
local offices and for seven years was postmaster of
New Pine Creek. For thirty-five years he has been a
Master Mason and since 1855 has been an Odd Fellow,
having in that year joined the lodge at West Union,
Fayette county, Iowa. At the time of the Civil war
every one of its members enlisted for service at the
front, whereby the lodge was broken up, and after
the war he aided in organizing another lodge at
Elgin, Iowa. He was at one time commander of the
Grand Army post at New Pine Creek but there is no
organization here now, as there are not enough
members to support it. His religious faith is that
of the Methodist Episcopal church. Captain Follett
is remarkably active for one of his years, for,
although he has passed the eighty-fourth milestone
on life's journey, he id in business and in spirit
and interest seems many years younger. He keeps in
touch with the progress of the world and throughout
his life has actively figured in projects and
movements which were of value in matters of
citizenship and as factors in the attainment of
material success. He has ever been as true and loyal
to the old flag as when he followed the stars and
stripes upon southern battlefields.
The Centennial History of Oregon,
Volume IV: S J Clarke Publishing Company,
Chicago, 1912, Pages 572-573
|
|
FRANKLIN
TRACY POORE. Residence, 1740 Pacific
Avenue; office, Mills Building, San Francisco.
Born March 5, 1882, at Ft. Bidwell, Modoc County.
Son of James Waterman and Zonetta (McCrerry)
Poore. Married Emma Marcella Brown, April 8, 1911.
Received his education in the public and grammar
schools of Modoc County, graduating in 1898. Has
been associated with Edwin L. Foster and Robert M.
Moody before and since admission to the bar.
Admitted to the bar before the District Court of
Appeal, First District, at San Francisco, July 31,
1906, since which time has practiced his
profession alone.
History of the Bench & Bar
of California: Joseph Clement Bates, Bench
And Bar Publishing Company, San Francisco, 1912 -
Page 468
|
|
|
|
|
DR.
SAMUEL C. GIBSON is engaged in the
practice of medicine in Reno as a member of the
regular school, and in recognition of the skill he
has acquired he has now a liberal practice
bringing to him an excellent income. He has
resided on the Pacific coast since 1880, and has
always lived west of the Mississippi river, his
birth having occurred in Steelville, Missouri, on
the 9th of September, 1857. His grandfather,
Alexander Gibson, was born in Ireland, and when a
young man crossed the water to the new world,
settling in Baltimore, Maryland, where for many
years he was a prosperous merchant. His son. who
also bore the name of Alexander Gibson, and was
the father of Dr. Gibson, became a physician and
surgeon, and in 1846 removed to Missouri, where he
engaged in practice throughout his remaining days,
his death occurring in 1900, when he was in his
seventy-second year. His wife, who bore the maiden
name of Haney Halbert, was a native of South
Carolina, and by her marriage became the mother of
ten children, six of whom are yet living. She died
in the thirty-eighth year of her age. Alexander
Gibson was a Democrat in his political
affiliations, but was most devoted to his
profession and never cared to give his time and
attention to political work. One of his sons, who
is Alexander Gibson, the third son practicing
physician and surgeon of Modoc county, California.
Dr. S. C. Gibson is indebted to the
schools of his native state for the educational
privileges which he received. His professional
knowledge was also acquired there, for, determining
to make the practice of medicine V; life work, he
was graduated from the Missouri Medical College in
March 1879. Thus, well equipped for the practice of
his profession, he made T: way westward, locating
first in Anderson. Shasta county. California, where
he remained for five years. On the expiration of
that period he removed Alturas, Modoc county,
California, where he practiced for ten years, and in
1895 he located in Reno, where he has since
remained. Here the public was accorded him
recognition of his ability by giving to him a
liberal patronage. The knowledge he has acquired he
applies with accuracy to the case in question. He is
most careful in diagnosing a case, and his judgment
is rare; if ever, at fault in determining a disease
or predicting its course and outcome. He is now the
president of the state board of health, and is the
chic, surgeon of the California, Nevada & Oregon
Railroad Company. He is likewise a member of the
Nevada State Medical Society, the American Medical
Society, and the International Association of
Railway Surgeons, and thus keeps in touch with the
advance thought of the profession, using his
knowledge thus acquired for the benefit of mankind
in the alleviation of human suffering. The Doctor is
also a member of the Board of directors of the
Farmers & Merchants Bank of Reno. In his
political views be is a Democrat, but the honors and
emoluments of office have little attraction to him
as h prefers to devote his energies to his
profession, in which he is meeting with signal
success. However, he takes a deep interest in the
success of party, doing all he can for its promotion
outside of office, and is now a member of both the
county and state central committees.
Dr. Gibson was married in 1882. the
lady of his choice being Miss Mary E. Roycroft, a
native daughter of California. born in Red Bluff.
They new have four children, three sons and a
daughter, the latter. Agnes Pearl, being a student
in the State University. The sons, Thomas R.,
Samuel and Robert Lee. are also students. The
family home is one of the elegant residences of
Reno, and the members of the household are most
highly esteemed in this city and state. The Doctor
has been a member of the Masonic order since 1881,
and enjoys the warm regard of his brethren of the
craft. His manner is genial, and his cordial
disposition and sympathetic nature make him a
favorite in social circles as well as at the bedside
of his patients in portion of the state.
A History of the State of Nevada:
The late Hon. Thomas Wren of Reno, Editor-in-Chief ~
The Lewis Publishing Company, New York &
Chicago, 1904 Pages 619-620
|
|
FRED
L. POPE, JR. Establishing his home and
interests in Klamath County where he was born,
Fred L. Pope has within a few years become one of
the well known cattlemen of the Fort Klamath
section that is widely acclaimed as one of the
finest cattle producing areas. Born at Merrill,
November 1, 1904, he was one of the six children
of Fred L. and Dora (Ballard) Pope. His father,
who gained recognition as a rancher and stock??man
in this county, was born in Iowa on September 15,
1861, but came to this county in 1898 and
purchased a ranch near Merrill from J. Frank
Adams, where he was instrumental in obtaining
irrigation water for the district. He later moved
to a ranch near Fort Klamath that he had purchased
in 1929, and was living there when his death
occurred in July, 1935. His wife, a native of
Modoc County, California, born March 31, 1874, is
a woman who makes many friends and has the
devotion of her family. She makes her home at
Merrill. Receiving his education in the public
school at Merrill and Oregon State College at
Corvallis, Fred Pope, Jr., entered salesman??ship,
selling electric refrigerators at Portland,
Oregon, then later worked for the United States
Bureau of Public Roads in the Fremont forest.
Concluding this employment he returned to Portland
as bookkeeper for the International Harvester
Company for a year before coming to Klamath Falls
where he held a similar position four years with
the Sanitary Packing Company. Before resuming
ranch life which had been his earlier interest, he
again returned to Portland and was affiliated with
the Safeway Stores of that city for three years.
At the death of his father Mr. Pope took over the
duties and responsibilities of a cattle ranch,
operating the place for his mother until 1939,
when he purchased the ranch and is now keeping
cattle on a grazing basis. By numerous
improvements he converted it into one of the most
attractive in the Wood River Valley, as well as
one of the most profitable. On December 17, 1929,
at Portland, Fred L. Pope, Jr., married Dorothy H.
Ott, who was born at Hailsit, Long Island, New
York, on September 29, 1908, and at the time of
her marriage was a deputy district clerk in the
courthouse at Portland. Her father, Stanley H.
Ott, was born in Connecticut in 1885 and is
employed in one of the shipyards at Portland. Her
mother, Norma M. (Cross) Ott, was born in Montana
in 1881, and has devoted her interests since
marriage to her husband and two daughters. The two
children born to Mr. and Mrs. Pope are: Linda
Jean, born on the ranch near Fort Klamath, January
5, 1937; and Stephen Fredric, born May 26, 1940,
in Klamath Falls. Mr. Pope, who in his political
faith is Republican, concentrates his activities
on his ranching venture but, taking an intelligent
and ever- widening interest in affairs of the
county, is becoming one of the valued residents of
his community.
History of Klamath County,
Oregon : Good, Rachel Applegate, Klamath
Falls, Or.: unknown, 1941, Pages 489-490
|
|
|
|
|
J.
N. GIVAN has been the owner of two
hundred acres of land near Adel since 1902 and is
fast converting this into a valuable and highly
improved property. He is leading a useful and busy
life and is recognized as one of the progressive
ranchmen of the Warner valley. His birth occurred
in Keokuk county, Iowa, April 13, 1863, his
parents being Henry C. and Phoebe (Jacobs) Givan,
both of whom were natives of Indiana and were
there reared, but they were married in Iowa. In
the winter of 1870-1 they made their way to Modoc
county, California, where they continued
throughout their remaining days, the father
passing away in 1911 at the advanced age of
eighty-one years. He had always followed farming
both in the east and in the west. In the family
were four children: Tilda, who is widow of C. B.
Blake, and resides in Modoc county, California; J.
N.; Lydia who is a widow, also of Modoc county;
and Emma, the wife of James McKee, of the North
Warner valley.
The Centennial History of Oregon,
Volume IV: S J Clarke Publishing Company,
Chicago, 1912 Page 1074
|
|
JAMES
LELAND POPE. Since his youth James
Leland Pope of Merrill has been ranching in Oregon
and Washington and his knowledge of farm land,
coupled with business ability, has enabled him to
benefit from several property transactions and has
resulted in his obtaining excellent farm land in
the Merrill district since he returned to Klamath
County about 1926. Mr. Pope was born in Canby,
California, September 23, 1894, son of Fred L.
Pope Sr., and Dora (Ballard) Pope. His father,
born in Iowa in 1861, came to Klamath County in
1899 and purchased the present home ranch of 265
acres and another ranch of 127 acres, east of
Merrill, improving both places. In 1932 he bought
a ranch near Fort Klamath, where he died in July,
1935. His wife, Dora (Ballard) Pope, is a native
of Modoc County, California, born in March, 1873.
An interesting fact in her family history is that
her father came to Portland, Oregon, when it was
merely a town of a few frame buildings. Mrs. Pope,
who reared three girls and three boys, resides in
Klamath County part of the time.
After completing high school in
Merrill, J. Leland Pope worked for his father for a
few months on the ranch where he now lives.
Following his marriage at 21, he rented the home
ranch and farmed it for five years before purchasing
an 800-acre stock ranch in Modoc County, California.
After operating it three years, he traded for
property in Washington, near Walla Walla, and spent
two years in that state before acquiring a ranch at
Junction City. Oregon. In 1926 he returned to the
Merrill ranch and leased the ranch from his father
and is still farming the land which he bought in
1940 from his mother. He grows potatoes, hay and
Alsike clover and raises stock cattle. In the
meantime, Mr. Pope has purchased and cleared 123
acres near Merrill for raising clover, alfalfa and
grain, and has bought 400 acres of hill pasture and
120 acres of irrigated pasture for feeding the
cattle herd he has started. On October 6, 1915, at
Canyonville, Oregon, Mr. Pope married Mary McGilvray
who was born at Trempaleau, Wisconsin, December 6,
1893. Her father, Gilbert McGilvray, was the first
white child born in that Wisconsin County of
Trempaleau, in 1854. He died in 1926. Her mother,
Olivia (Camp) McGilvray, was also a native of
Wisconsin, born in 1857 and died in 1929. Mrs. Pope
is a popular matron of the Merrill community,
holding memberships in the Woman's Libra, Club, the
Rebekah Lodge and the Grange. Mr. and Mrs. Pope have
two children: James Randall, born July 23, 1920, who
is his father's assistant on the ranch ; and Donald
L., born Decem??ber 22, 1931. Besides his farming,
Mr. Pope's interests include activities of the Odd
Fellows Lodge, the Grange and the Merrill Service
Club ; he is registered a Re??publican. During the
past few years he has made blooded cattle his hobby
and is developing and enlarging a herd of Black
Angus cattle.
History of Klamath County,
Oregon : Good, Rachel Applegate, Klamath
Falls, Or.: unknown, 1941, Pages 489-490
|
|
|
|
|
FELIX
M. GREEN. The productiveness of the
region along the boundary line between Oregon and
California is well demonstrated in the success
that is crowning the efforts of Felix M. Green,
ranchman, who, though making his home in New Pine
Creek, Oregon, owns eleven hundred acres of land
on the California side in Modoc county. His labors
in its development are being attended with
excellent results and show that progressive
methods bring gratifying returns. Mr. Green is a
native of Colusa county, California, born February
14, 1857, and is a son of William and Harriet
(Holland) Green, who were natives of Illinois,
where they were reared and married. In 1856 they
crossed the plains to Colusa county, California,
and in 1872 removed to Oregon, settling in the
Willamette valley. The mother now resides in
Lakeview, but the father passed away in Colorado
in 1887, when sixty years of age. He had devoted
his entire life to ranching. In his family were
eight children: Felix M.; Joseph, a miner of
Colorado; William; Charles of Colorado; Carrie,
the wife of William Struthers of Junction City,
Colorado; Hattie, the wife of Lee Bell; James of
Sacramento, California; and Annie, the wife of H.
Westmoreland of Washington.
Felix M. Green was reared in Chico.
Butte county, California, and accompanied his
parents on their removal to Eugene, Oregon, being
then a youth in his teens. In 1878 he went to
Lakeview and has since resided in Lake county. In
April, 1911, he located at his present place of
residence and while he has his home in New Pine
Creek on the Oregon side of the boundary line, his
residence being a beautiful and commodious one. his
ranch lies in Modoc county California. It comprises
eleven hundred acres and is improved with good
buildings, including an attractive dwelling and all
barns and sheds necessary for the shelter of grain
and stock. The ranch is owned by Mr. Green and his
father-in-law, W. P. Heryford, of Lakeview. and is
known as the Heryford-Green ranch. Mr. Green engages
in the cultivation of grain, hay and fruit and
raises some stock. He has five orchards, fifty acres
being planted to fruit, and in 1911 he harvested
over ten thousand bushels of grain, including barley
and wheat, and cut over eight hundred tons of hay,
including both alfalfa and timothy. His farming
interests are as is thus indicated extensive. The
success which he has attained is the merited reward
of persistent, earnest labor, intelligently
directed. In addition to his ranch interests Mr.
Green is a director and stockholder in the Lakeview
Mercantile Company and is president of the Sunshine
Mining Company of New Pine Creek, owning what is
reputed to be the best gold mine in this
section.
In 1894 Mr. Green was married to Miss
Cora Heryford, who was born in Shasta county,
California, May 6, 1873, and is a daughter of
William P. Heryford, of Lakeview. Their children are
Clarence, Nellie, William and Fay. Felix M. Green
votes with the democratic party and for two years
served as deputy sheriff of Lake county. His
fraternal connections are with the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows and the Benevolent Protective Order
of Elks. He has always been a resident of the west
and the spirit of progress which has brought about
the wonderful development of the Pacific coast
country is manifested in his life record. He has
recognized and utilized the opportunities presented
by this section of the country and is among those
whose labors are an important element in bringing
about the change that is converting it from an arid
and undeveloped region into one of the richly
cultivated and prosperous districts of the
northwest.
The Centennial History of Oregon,
Volume IV: S J Clarke Publishing Company,
Chicago, 1912, Page 401
|
|
R.
D. VARNER is practically living retired
but is the owner of good ranch property, his home
being situated three and a half miles east of
Klamath Falls on the Lakeview road. He was born in
Posey county, Indiana, January 7, 18 27 , and has
therefore passed the eighty-fifth milestone on
life's journey. His is an honored old age and his
rest is well merited, for his life has been
worthily spent. He was one of a family of nine
children whose parents were John and Rebecca
(McCarty) Varner, natives of Pennsylvania , the
former born in 1792 and the latter in 1795. The
parents were reared however, in Virginia and went
to Kentucky as pioneers. Later they located in
Indiana and their last days were spent in Illinois
, both passing away when more than eighty years of
age. The father was a farmer by occupation and
after crossing the plains to California in 1852,
attracted by the discoveries of gold on the
Pacific coast, he engaged in mining. Hp also
worked on a ranch to some extent, dividing his
time between the two occupations until 1861, when
he returned to Illinois . His nine children all
lived to adult age. The eldest. M. Samuel Varner,
born in 1819, is a resident of Indiana . James
Francis Asbury, who is more than ninety years of
age. is a resident of Posey county, Indiana. A
daughter, Mrs. Sarah Ann Mills, is living in
Illinois , but the others have all passed away.
R. D. Varner resided in Indiana until
1844, when at the age of seventeen years he went to
Illinois, where he spent the succeeding decade of
his life. In 1854 he arrived in California, where he
engaged in mining for about ten years and later he
followed farming at Goose Lake in Modoc county.
California, until he came to Oregon on the 10th of
November, 1887. He has since resided in Klamath
county, his home being three and a half miles east
of Klamath Falls, on the Lakeview road, where he has
a good tract of land. The active management and
development of the ranch, however, is left to his
sons, who are operating two hundred and forty acres,
all wheat land. To this they have given their
energies for the past six years. At different
periods in his life R. D. Varner followed other
pursuits than farming. While in Illinois he worked
for ten years at cabinet-making and on going to
California he worked at bridge building and
carpentering and afterward at gardening. His life
has been a busy and useful one and his success has
come to him as the merited and logical reward of his
labors.
Mr. Varner has been married twice. In
1858 he wedded Miss Sarah Hassel, who was born in
New York in 1830 and passed away in Illinois in the
year 1867. She left two children: Julian, who is a
resident of White county, Illinois; and Harriet, the
wife of Joseph Curtis, of White county, Illinois. In
1870 Mr. Varner was again married, his second union
being with Miss Caroline Hollar, who was born in
Iowa in 1847 and died in this state in 1893. To R.
D. and Caroline (Hollar) Varner were born seven
children, as follows: Carey, who passed away at the
age of eighteen years; John A., who assists in the
operation of the home ranch: Fannie, at home; Sarah
L., the wife of F. C. Smith, residing on the Merrill
road in Klamath county; R. D., living in Nevada; and
T. A. and Samuel, both at home.
Mr. Varner has always voted with the
democratic party and has always held to high
standards of citizenship. In his business dealings
he has been straightforward and reliable, knowing
that all honorable success can only be won through
individual effort and unfaltering perseverance. He
is one of the esteemed citizens of Klamath county
and a well spent life has won for him the veneration
which should ever be accorded one of his
years.
The Centennial History of Oregon,
Volume IV: S J Clarke Publishing Company, Chicago,
1912, Page 380
|
|
|
|
|
C.
C. HARRIS. A beautiful home is that of
C. C. Harris. A residence containing twelve rooms,
built in 1911, overlooks Summer lake, furnishing a
view which covers fifty miles on a clear day. In
the rear of the building tower lofty mountains
three thousand feet higher than his home, although
the valley itself has an altitude of forty-four
hundred feet. Across the front of the house
extends a broad veranda and the lawn is shaded by
fine box elder, poplar and locust trees.
Altogether it is a beautiful country property and
he has his own electric light works and water
plant, pumping mountain-spring water into the
house. This attractive home is a visible evidence
of the well spent life of C. C. Harris, whose
success is the merited reward of earnest labor
intelligently directed.
C. C. Harris is a native of Iron
county, Missouri, born May 16, 1860, and is a son of
Zed G. and Malissa (Pease) Harris. The father was
born in Kentucky in 1825 and the mother in
Connecticut in 1827. They were married in Missouri,
January 6, 1848, and Zed G. Harris died in that
state in 1880. He had devoted his entire life to
fanning. The mother, not long after her husband's
death, came to Lake county, Oregon, with her
children and there passed away in 1900. Three of the
children died in Missouri and one remained in that
state at the time when four of the sons and three of
the daughters accompanied their mother to the west.
They located first at Willowranch in the Goose Lake
valley of California, there remaining until 1888,
when they came to the Summer Lake valley, locating
on the west bank of the lake. Of the children, the
eldest is Mrs. Flavia McDowell, while the others who
reached adult age are: S. B., who died in Goose Lake
valley of Modoc county, California; Farnum E., of
Lakeview, Oregon; Mrs. Delia Fisher, of Ashland,
Oregon; Clarence C., living on Summer Lake; Martin
E., of Chehalis county, Washington; Frank M.,
mentioned elsewhere in this work; and Mrs. Florence
Wakefield, of Elma, Washington.
In taking up the personal history of
Clarence C. Harris we present to our readers the
record of one who is widely and favorably known in
Lake county and southern Oregon. About the time when
he attained liis majority the family came to the
northwest and since 1888 he has resided continuously
at the place of his present residence on Summer
lake. He owns four hundred acres of land, nearly all
of which is under cultivation, and is devoted to
general farming and stock raising. He cultivates hay
as well as cereals of various kinds, also raises a
variety of fruit and has a fine garden in which is
produced almost every known vegetable. Everything
seems to grow well here and his place is improved to
an exceptional degree. He has provided ample
buildings for the shelter of grain and stock and in
1911 erected his present fine residence already
described. It is attractively located, commanding a
fine view of the scenic features of the district,
and that hospitality is one of its features is
indicated by the readiness with which their many
friends visit this home. Mr. Harris runs about one
hundred head of horses and mules on the range and
has about fifty head of cattle. A circle enclosing
the letter J on the right stifle is the brand used
by Mr. Harris for his cattle. His horses are branded
on the right shoulder with a figure four and a
capital letter H. He raises Percheron horses and
Durham cattle and is doing much to improve the grade
of stock common in southern Oregon. In addition to
his agricultural and stock-raising interests he is
connected with a drug store in Lakeview and is also
a shareholder in the Windy Hollow mines near
Paisley.
In 1896 Mr. Harris was married to Miss
Hattie J. Colvin, who was born in California in 1872
and is a daughter of S. T. Colvin, deceased. Mr. and
Mrs. Harris have three children: Hildred, Sidney and
Reta. They have many friends in the county, enjoy an
enviable social position, and Mr. Harris has a
creditable reputation as a progressive business man
and public-spirited citizen.
The Centennial History of Oregon,
Volume IV: S J Clarke Publishing Company,
Chicago, 1912, Page 566
|
|
IRA
RAYMOND VAUGHN was made city treasurer
of Richmond on April 1, 1913 and this important
position he has held ever since, discharging his
duties in a prompt, capable, and reliable manner.
Previous to taking this of??fice he held a
position of trust and responsibility for four
years with the Standard Oil Company, in the
auditing department. Mr. Vaughn was born in
Eagleville, ' Modoc County , California , April
16, 18 83 . He acquired his edu??cation in the
public schools, and attended high school in Santa
Rosa , later taking a business course in Oakland .
He then became identified with the Santa Fe
Railroad at Richmond , and later went with the
Standard Oil Com??pany. On July 1 19 10 , he was
appointed city clerk, which office he filled to
the credit of Richmond until April 1, 19 13 , when
he was made city treasurer. Politically, Mr.
Vaughn is affiliated with the Democratic party.
Fraternally, he is a member of the B. P.O. E. of
Richmond , the Moose, and the Modern Woodmen of
the World. He was united in marriage to Miss
Hattie Eleanor Mitchell, A Tulare County,
California, June 24, 19 06 . Mr. Vaughn has many
friends in Richmond , by all of whom he is
respected and highly esteemed. He stands for
progress at all times, and seeks his own success
and the city's advancement along lines of activity
which will bear the closest investigation and
scrutiny.
The History of
Contra Costa County, California: Wm L Todd;
Jos W Revere; William B Ide; Jose Castro; et
al Berkeley, Calif.: Elms
Pub. Co., 1917, Page 477-478
|
|
|
|
|
FRANK M. HARRIS is
the owner of a ranch of six hundred and fifty
acres, of which two hundred and fifty acres is
included in his home place on the west side of
Summer lake. Iron county, Missouri , numbers him
among her native sons, his birth having there
occurred January 31, 18 64 . His parents were Zed
and Malissa (Pease) Harris. The father was born in
Kentucky in 1825 and the mother in Connecticut in
1827. They were married in Missouri , January 6,
18 48 , and Zed Harris died in that state in 1880.
He had devoted his entire life to farming. The
mother, not long after her husband's death, came
to Lake county, Oregon , with her children and
here passed away in 1900. Three of the children
died in Missouri and one remained in that state at
the time when four of the sons and three of the
daughters accompanied their mother to the west.
They located first at Willowranch in the Goose
lake valley of California, there remaining until
1888, when they came to the Summer lake valley,
locating on the west bank of the lake. Of the
children the eldest is Mrs. Flavia McDowell, while
the others who reached adult age are: S. B., who
died in Goose lake valley of Modoc county,
California; Farnum E., of Lakeview, Oregon; Mrs.
Delia Fisher, of Ashland, Oregon; Clarence C.,
living on Summer lake; Martin E., of Chehalis
county, Washington; Frank M., of this review; and
Mrs. Florence Wakefield, of Elma, Washington.
Frank M. Harris was a youth when he
came with his mother and other members of the family
to Oregon. He resided with a brother and his mother
to the time of his marriage in 1888 to Miss Emma
Barnes, a native of California, who died here in
1891. The children of that marriage were: Glenn, who
died in infancy; and Reason. In 1898 Mr. Harris was
again married, his second union being with Alta
Platt, a native of Wisconsin. There are three
children of this marriage, Dean, Lewis and
Ruth.
For more than three decades Mr. Harris
has resided continuously in the Summer lake valley
and his time and energies have ever been devoted to
the development of his ranch and to the raising of
stock. His home place is well improved, constituting
one of the attractive farms on the west side of
Summer lake, and his holdings, embracing altogether
six hundred and fifty acres, give him excellent
opportunity to promote the work of agricultural
development in this section and to advance his
individual interests. This he is doing along
progressive lines and his labors are meeting with
good returns.
The Centennial History of Oregon,
Volume IV: S J Clarke Publishing Company,
Chicago, 1912, Page 486
|
|
ESTHER FLORENCE VINCENT.
Santa Rosa is the home of many successful business
women who have become factors in the life of the
city through their organization known as the
Business and Professional Women's Club. One
of the members of this group, eligible to
membership through her real estate and insurance
business is Esther Florence Vincent, who has been
a resident of the city since 1905.
Her advent in Santa Rosa was direct
from Modoc County, California, the place of her
birth [May 3, 1882]. Her father, Edward Myers, born
December 2, 1829, a native of Philadelphia, passed
away March 27, 1896 in Modoc County, while her
mother, Appoline, a woman of Canadian birth [march
25, 1841, died June 17, 1926 at the home of her
daughter in Santa Rosa.
On May 24, 1900, the subject of this
sketch was united in marriage, at Alturas,
California with William o Vincent, a native of Lake
county, Oregon. Seven children were born of the
marriage: Vina, now the wife of Howard Martin;
Nondas, who is married to Carl Lundgren; Paulina
[Mrs George halverson]; Edythe, now Mrs Frank
Martin; Arlie, Stewart and Melvin Vincent.
After the death of Frank Vincent
[father of William O] his wife, Nancy [Cole]
Vincent, came to Santa Rosa where she spent the
remaining years of her life.
Mrs Vincent has been connected with
various real estate firms since her residence in
Santa Rosa, but in later years has opened her own
office where she specializes in real estate sales
and exchanges combined with a wide line of
insurances.
She is broad in her interests, and for
four years served the local unit of the WCTU as
their president. Humanitarian in her outlook, she
has concerned herself with the welfare of humanity
and has localized her interest, because of her own
children, in the work of the PTA, where she acted as
president for two terms. Her religious preference is
for the Baptist Church. Her home, for many years,
has been at 1488 N. Orchard Street.
History of Sonoma County,
California: Finley, Ernest Latimer, Santa
Rosa, Calif. :: Press Democrat Pub. Co.,, 1937, Pg
292
|
|
|
|
|
Z. G. HARRIS has
leased and is operating the Harvey ranch of
thirteen hundred acres at the south end of Summer
lake. He was born in Iron county. Missouri,
November 3. 1874, and about 1884 became a resident
of the Goose Lake valley in Modoc county,
California, having journeyed westward with his
father. S. B. Harris. His mother, Statia (De
Guire) Harris, died in Missouri when her son was
but three years of age, after which the father
married Lizzie Sutton and both died in Modoc
county, California, the latter in the spring of
1889, while Mr. Harris passed away in the fall of
the same year. In the family were four children,
Z. G. Harris being the only one born of the
father's first marriage. The others are: Lottie,
the wife of Wayman Withers, of Summer Lake valley;
Minnie, the wife of Charles Hill, of Portland; and
Ada, the wife of Fred Jacobsen, of Portland.
Z. G. Harris remained at home until
his father's death and then came to Summer Lake
valley, and resided with his uncle tor about three
years. Starting out in life on his own account he
worked for wages for about four years, during which
period he carefully saved his earnings until he was
able to make investment in three hundred and sixty
acres of land at the north end of Summer lake. He
operated that for a time and also leased a place
known as the Lane ranch of sixteen hundred acres on
Silver lake. There he remained for three years,
after which he returned to the old home place and
lived thereon for three years. On the expiration of
that period he leased the Harvey ranch at the south
end of Summer lake, comprising thirteen hundred
acres upon which he now makes his home. It is
devoted to the raising of hay, grain and stock, and
he has one hundred acres planted to grain, while
each year he puts up about four hundred tons of hay.
He also keeps about four hundred head of cattle and
horses, the extensive ranch affording ample range
for his stock. His own place is leased and adds
materially to his income.
In 1895 Mr. Harris was married to Miss
Alice Sullivan, who was engaged as a school teacher
on Summer lake and was born on Davis creek, in the
Goose Lake valley, Modoc county, California. July 7,
1876. She is a daughter of Calvin Luther and
Elizabeth (Petross) Sullivan, the former a native of
North Carolina and the latter of Illinois. Both died
at Goose Lake. Mr. and Mrs. Harris have four
children, Beatrice, Bernice, Theta and Thelma. In
politics Mr. Harris is an independent democrat, for
while he usually holds to the principles of the
party he does not consider himself bound by party
ties and when his judgment dictates does not
hesitate to support candidates of other parties.
Fraternally he is connected with the Independent
Order of Odd Follows and with the Woodmen of the
World.
The Centennial History of Oregon,
Volume IV: S J Clarke Publishing Company,
Chicago, 1912, Pages 552-553
|
|
|